Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everyone!

LyRLkAs.jpg

I purchased an '83 GL650 Interstate about two months ago, and while I love the bike, I'm just not loving that big, buzzy fairing, especially with how the windshield can cause serious visibility problems in humidity or rain.

I have a Vetter Windstar fairing that I previously used on my '81 Honda CM400A. and I'd really like to swap it onto the Silver Wing. I've made a mockup in Photoshop of what this might look like, and it only makes me want it more.

2OtOQI7.png

I located a Vetter bracket from an '81 CX500 on eBay, but I'm not sure I should buy it.

nbg2Zsm.jpg

My question is: Can I use Vetter mounting brackets meant for the CX500, or will I have to have somebody fabricate custom ones? Has anyone here ever tried putting a Vetter fairing on their Silver Wing?

Thanks!

·
Registered
313 Posts
I've also had frost chill and cut visibility and frost up on the hondaline fairing in high moisture climate, see old avatar image. Yea wet Oregon... but unless you have a slip on that you can reach and wipe if needed, I don't think you'd reach a vetter's to clear the condensation either... Though I didn't do it before I sold the bike, cutting the windscreen down to be able to see over in icing conditions would be my next option, or apply a rain-x type coating to prevent anti fog to the windscreen.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I've also had frost chill and cut visibility and frost up on the hondaline fairing in high moisture climate, see old avatar image. Yea wet Oregon... but unless you have a slip on that you can reach and wipe if needed, I don't think you'd reach a vetter's to clear the condensation either... Though I didn't do it before I sold the bike, cutting the windscreen down to be able to see over in icing conditions would be my next option, or apply a rain-x type coating to prevent anti fog to the windscreen.
Ah, you know my pain - I'm in Seattle!

So the Windstar fairing by Vetter is pretty uncommon, compared to the Windjammer. I've had it on my CM400A for about 6 months and the great thing about it is that the windshield is the perfect height for me - it creates an air bubble that mostly gets rid of buffeting, and if I tuck a little, it's as smooth as can be. But, the windshield is also just short enough that it doesn't obstruct my view at all if I sit up a little bit taller in the seat.

View attachment carkeek.jpg

I also keep a towel in my luggage :p

·
Registered
8,713 Posts
In moving the parts stash to my new garage today, I noticed a box (that I got from VC3) labelled "Vetter parts." I'll try to take a look to see what's there. I don't think it's big enough to be the whole bracket.

R

·
Registered
355 Posts
I thought the actual frame mounting is different from the CX and GL due to the GL having a triple beam. perhaps it may be easier to adapt the vetter fairing to the Hondaline bracket.
Steve

·
Super Moderator
14,060 Posts
Yes. There was another thread about this a few weeks ago. According to Craig Vetter's website, all of his fairings have the same mounting footprint so the bracket from any Vetter fairing will fit any other Vetter fairing but there are different brackets for different bikes and the one made to bolt to the frames of twin shock/CDI CX00 models won't mate to Pro-Link/TI CX/GL500/650 frames.

Your Honda fairing should not be "buzzy". In fact, my experience with Vetter fairing and a Honda fairing was that the Honda one was much more solidly mounted and did not shake and bounce nearly as much. The fairing itself was much more solidly built and the bracket attached to the bike's frame seems like a better design to me, especially the one for the GL. Sitting behind the Honda fairing was a lot quieter too. If your Honda fairing is noisy you should start by making sure there isn't a crack and that all of the attachment points are done up properly and if that is all OK make sure there isn't something barely touching somewhere (lots of buzzes in vehicles can be remedied by just moving something a few mm).

The windshield on a bike should be set up so that you just look over the top so that you can see where you are going in the rain. Your Honda fairing is adjustable by loosening the 4 screws that attach it to the fairing and sliding it up or down within a range of a couple of inches. This would also be a good opportunity to make sure that the windshield garnish gasket (rubber sheet that goes between the aluminum "garnish" and the windshield) is in place and that the garnish hasn't been bent so that it can't apply uniform pressure to the gasket (this could contribute to a buzz).

If it is still to tall you can cut it down:
- Get a roll of wide masking tape and cover the top of the screen on both sides to at least a couple of inches lower than where you want to cut it. 2 layers on the outside is better because it also has to protect the plastic from the jigsaw.
- Sit on the bike and make a mark where you will be able to just see over the screen (too low and more rain will hit your helmet shield or face).
- Carefully draw a line on the tape on the outside (convex) side with the shape you want (when I cut mine I made it flatter across the top).
- Use a jigsaw with a fine blade to cut it just outside of the line, then file it smooth and finish with sandpaper BEFORE removing the tape.
- If desired you can "flame" the edge with a propane torch to produce a very smooth edge (I recommend finding a YouTube video on how to do this if you have never done it before).

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I broke the one on m GL500 and had a much taller Slipstreamer one that I cut the headlight part off.It fits pretty good and I can see over the top with no wind on my head.
Old windshield,stock GL500I one.

·
Super Moderator
14,060 Posts
Steve, the "stock" windshield in your pic looks like an aftermarket tall one to me.

BTW: Honda sold so many bikes with those fairings (including as lot of GL1100s) that they are still readily available from the aftermarket in several versions including several heights and even one that is wider.

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
I like my Slipstreamer Turbo on my naked Silverwing.

silverwing profile recylce.jpg

·
Super Moderator
14,060 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,637 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
I think I can adjust the rake on my Slipstreamer, to make the height change. I was thinking about increasing the angle and that would lower the top of the screen.

·
Super Moderator
14,060 Posts
Steve: Looks like we were typing at the same time.
I bought the windshield I have on Eccles in 1995 to replace the original one from Mr.H's fairing that had blistered after sitting outside for 6 years. That fairing was on every winter bike until I replaced it in 2014 because its inner shell was starting to crack all over but I am still using the same windshield 23 years later (I wish I had written down the brand but I didn't keep a maintenance log in those days). If I had known then what I know now I probably would have bought the wraparound version if I could have afforded it.

Littlewing, we are talking about replacement windshields for the fairing, not universal fit windshields like you have. IIRC, your windshield should be able to be adjusted a lot but you need to be careful not to set it at too low an angle (higher angle = closer to vertical) because it could direct the wind into your head instead of above it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks for the tips and insight into Hondaline fairings and windshields, guys.

I'm quite sure I'd like the Hondaline fairing gone - the previous owner over-torqued the screws on the windshield garnish substantially at some point, or something, and the garnish is misshapen. I'm not certain a garnish gasket is even present. I did reduce the buzz somewhat by locating a bolt whose nut has gone missing, but I'm still unhappy with how badly the fairing obstructs my vision.

I just don't love the look, and it'd be pricy and tedious to fix. I also believe the windshield I have may be taller than stock - there's also remnants of a CB system buried in it, lots of dead weight.

I really, really love my Windstar fairing. It turns heads, gets compliments, and has tons of storage. I would like to see it on the GL650, so that's what I'm going to try to do. I was just hoping that someone might have insight on how a bracket could be made or adapted.

If anyone has any direct experience on this matter, I'd love to hear. Thank you for your time.

Sidecar Bob, do you know if any Vetter brackets were manufactured for Pro-Link frames? If not, I have a spare bracket that I believe was originally mounted on a GL1100 or similar that I could cannibalize, but I'd like to keep things as simple as I can. I'm no skilled craftswoman ;)

·
Super Moderator
14,060 Posts
Vetter did make a bracket for the GL500/650. They are long out of production and modifying your GL1100 bracket would require welding to be safe. My recommendations would be:
1) Keep an eye out on eBay for the correct Vetter bracket (this would be the easiest way)
2) It should be possible to fabricate adapter plates to mount the Vetter fairing on your bike's original bracket. You would need to compare the bracket that fits the fairing and the one that is on the bike4 and get a local metal working place to cut a couple of pieces of steel (I would recommend minimum 1/8" thick) the right length and wide enough to bridge the holes needed to bolt them to the bracket and bolt the fairing to them. The rest would only be drilling the holes, painting the adapters and bolting it up (this might be a good start at learning to do this kind of work)

There is a section on the Interstate accessories in one of the addenda for the GL500/650 Factory Shop Manual, which you can download free from the CX Wiki (link in my signature) that might be worth reading through before you remove the original fairing.

Also, don't start by cutting the wires.
- The cable from the bike plugs onto a socket on the fairing , leaving one green (ground) wire that enters the fairing via a rubber gland next to the connector. You will need to remove the left fairing pocket to unplug it without risking damage (someone might want the fairing you don't).
- There is a wiring box attached to the forks behind the fairing. Open it up and you will find that most of the wires in the cable to the fairing can be unplugged to remove it. IIRC, there are a few wires that run to the keyswitch. I can talk you through what to do with them if you get in touch with me when you are closer to that point.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Vetter did make a bracket for the GL500/650. They are long out of production and modifying your GL1100 bracket would require welding to be safe. My recommendations would be:
1) Keep an eye out on eBay for the correct Vetter bracket (this would be the easiest way)
2) It should be possible to fabricate adapter plates to mount the Vetter fairing on your bike's original bracket. You would need to compare the bracket that fits the fairing and the one that is on the bike4 and get a local metal working place to cut a couple of pieces of steel (I would recommend minimum 1/8" thick) the right length and wide enough to bridge the holes needed to bolt them to the bracket and bolt the fairing to them. The rest would only be drilling the holes, painting the adapters and bolting it up (this might be a good start at learning to do this kind of work)

There is a section on the Interstate accessories in one of the addenda for the GL500/650 Factory Shop Manual, which you can download free from the CX Wiki (link in my signature) that might be worth reading through before you remove the original fairing.

Also, don't start by cutting the wires.
- The cable from the bike plugs onto a socket on the fairing , leaving one green (ground) wire that enters the fairing via a rubber gland next to the connector. You will need to remove the left fairing pocket to unplug it without risking damage (someone might want the fairing you don't).
- There is a wiring box attached to the forks behind the fairing. Open it up and you will find that most of the wires in the cable to the fairing can be unplugged to remove it. IIRC, there are a few wires that run to the keyswitch. I can talk you through what to do with them if you get in touch with me when you are closer to that point.
Thanks for the tips, Bob - just to put your mind at ease, I would NEVER cut a wire unless I had no choice in the matter :)
I do have a beat-up old service manual for the bike, and I installed the Vetter fairing on my CM400A myself, so I do have some experience with the bullet connectors and pigtails found within. I plan to keep the original fairing as intact as possible.

I'm seeing mixed information about the GL1100 bracket from that other Vetter thread, so I'm a little confused, but I will try to see about finding a place to fabricate an adapter for my stock fairing bracket. It's going to be a little difficult for me, as these two bikes are my only vehicles(the GL650, Hermes, is my daily driver), so I probably will have to convert the Hondamatic back to stock before I can start worrying about removing the Hondaline fairing from Hermes.

Honestly, it doesn't sound like it'd be that difficult to make my own adapter plate, but sadly I don't have access to any power tools - when I moved to Seattle two years ago, I owned nothing except a bag of clothes and a broken laptop, and while I have a socket set, some screwdrivers, and a cheap power drill, that's... -all- I have to work with.

I guess I'll try keeping an eye on eBay for the time being - if anyone happens to scrape up a GL500/650 Vetter bracket before then, please contact me! This thread will be updated when I make any progress.

·
Registered
24,186 Posts
if you go to craig vetters site he has a lot of the templates of the brackets up there

Home made mounts

i know i have one for a gl500 that is easy to mod for a 650 but i will have to look for it

IF i find it you can have it for shipping

i think i also have a vetter pigtail that plugs into the honda harness if its the right pigtail for your model fairing

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
if you go to craig vetters site he has a lot of the templates of the brackets up there

Home made mounts

i know i have one for a gl500 that is easy to mod for a 650 but i will have to look for it

IF i find it you can have it for shipping

i think i also have a vetter pigtail that plugs into the honda harness if its the right pigtail for your model fairing
Thanks for the info! I've dug through Craig's site for hours in the past - great resource.
I would love it if you could find that bracket! I do have the correct pigtail for the Windstar I have, and one spare from the Windjammer in my garage, so you don't have to send it, but it's always helpful to have spare parts. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts