Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I decide to finish stripping down the parts bike I bought a few years ago on FleaBay. I actually slapped my tank and plate on it and rode it around for a while after I bought it. I had started to take things apart last year, but my plans were cut short by my encounter with the Toyota.

Here is what it looked like when I went to pick it up for my winning bid of $300, you can see it wasn't some neglected beat bike.:

I have a bit of remorse for parting it, but I needed some parts for my bike more than I needed another bike.

As I was taking things apart, when I got to the rear engine case I found this:

The top slider bolt does not have the triangular brace, nor does the tensioner brace cover the slider. The bolt was backed out about 3 threads too.

This bike has about 14k miles on it, and the seller was riding it before I picked it up. I thought I had seen punch marks on the serial number plate, but after cleaning it up well, it's now obvious that there are no punch marks on it:

I am going to contact Honda, and see what they have to say. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for them to honor the recall though........

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
That doesn't look like a parts bike to me, it looks like a fix the cam chain tensioner and ride it bike.

·
Super Moderator
2,845 Posts
I have heard of 78's being fixed under the original recall in the last few years. It's worth the call anyway.

Nice bike though. Good luck with the recall fix. Fingers crossed for you.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I remember someone a while back had a bike that they thought had never had the recall done. They contacted Honda and were told they may honor the recall, depending upon parts availability.

http://cx500forum.com/index.php?/topic/2857-cam-tensioner-recall/

"Just got off the phone with Honda's US head office in California. They told me to check for the punch marks in the triangle configuration and if they aren't there I should bring the bike to my Honda dealer to have them confirm the punch marks aren't there (and therefore confirm that the recall wasn't done).

After the dealer checks out the bike they said that they 'may' honor the recall depending on part availability, etc."

Also found this at the old forum;

http://choppercharles.com/cs/forums/29607/ShowPost.aspx

·
Registered
210 Posts
Ok, mine has no punch marks either.. Should I worry? Its a 1980 CX500 A UK spec model..

·
Registered
522 Posts
There are engines that just want to run and they'll do it against the odds. I've seen it many times. For every yin there's a yang and there are engines that will only run begrudgingly, when they do run. I'm here because I've heard the CX-GL 500 are as dependable as hammers. So, yes I expect they have the good ju-ju and some of them unusually so. Somewhere there's one out there for me. I'm stoked.

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
Too bad you're in KY, as my CX will be coming up on the block soon.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
What year is the bike?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
No, Vtype, the recall only affected a portion of the 78 year CX.

SPANK YOU for that Mr. Helpy....

I just now see you took my little remark to heart....love it

EDIT: Of course I was just razzing you with that..GLAD you took it the way I meant it my friend !!

·
Registered
210 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Yea, if they'll do the recall for free that would be outstanding getting new parts in that area. I don't think the chain itself wears that much if you're good about oil changes using good oil.

I bought a complete chain, guide etc. setup off eBay for cheap several months ago. It came off a 5,000 mile bike and still looks almost perfectly new so I added it to my spare parts inventory.

·
Registered
203 Posts
So, I decide to finish stripping down the parts bike I bought a few years ago on FleaBay. I actually slapped my tank and plate on it and rode it around for a while after I bought it. I had started to take things apart last year, but my plans were cut short by my encounter with the Toyota.

Here is what it looked like when I went to pick it up for my winning bid of $300, you can see it wasn't some neglected beat bike.:

I have a bit of remorse for parting it, but I needed some parts for my bike more than I needed another bike.

As I was taking things apart, when I got to the rear engine case I found this:

The top slider bolt does not have the triangular brace, nor does the tensioner brace cover the slider. The bolt was backed out about 3 threads too.

This bike has about 14k miles on it, and the seller was riding it before I picked it up. I thought I had seen punch marks on the serial number plate, but after cleaning it up well, it's now obvious that there are no punch marks on it:

I am going to contact Honda, and see what they have to say. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for them to honor the recall though........
I believe that you have a very early cx 500 the pre modification these were recalled and modified with the tensiner plate wich has a longer arm like on most cx,s As you pointed out it has no punch marks. the punch marks has the modification done at the time of the recall.The reason these were were recalled because the plate was a design fault if left as it is this type of design would cause engine failure. On my cx the punch marks are there wich shows the modification. Well best of luck wen you ring honda.Mind you the inside of the engine looks good.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The bike's a 1978, and even if it wasn't, if you open your engine and it looks like the one in the first post, it's an engine that was supposed to be recalled.

This is the first time I've seen what an un-recalled engine looks like. As I stated, the top bolt that holds the fixed slider was loose and had worked it's way out about 3 threads, it was less than finger tight. All the predictions and hype of instant death if you ride an unrecalled bike are not borne out by this example, over 14k miles without the recall and it's all still there.

It was in pretty good shape, however, the maintenance and upkeep had been neglected for a long time, many things had been hacked by the previous owner and it needed enough things replaced that it wasn't worth it to restore. I needed the forks and enough Mickey Mouse stuff off it that it saved me more than I paid for it parts before I even started on the engine.

I was going to post "after" recall pics for comparison, but I don't have one shot without the flywheel in the way. There have probably been 100 of them posted to this list but I can't find one. You can see the top half here, practically armored compared to the "naked" slider:

As for the chain, they don't wear much at all, but they do stretch quite a bit over the miles, this one only has 14k miles with regular adjustments:

Here's what she looks like now, only takes about 2 hours to go from bike to this.

I'm going to rebuild my hit CX on this frame, have decided on the powdercoat route instead of paint. Also contemplating a fairing delete, if the GL proves a better highway bike, no need for a fairing on a city warrior.

·
Registered
210 Posts
+1 on powder coating.. Its not the cheap option but if you find a good powder coater, you'll probably never need worry about ever having to do it again. I had my project done at a firm about 60 miles from here and i'm sure my frame didn't look this good when it was new.

Loving the engine pix too! Hope I never have to take mine apart tho..

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I do hope that if Honda offers to do the recall that you don't just take the bare engine in there. :)

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Found a pic, Nippongreen just posted the link in another thread. Used without Keith's permission or knowledge (Keith: you can serve me the court papers personally at the Canadian Rally.
)

LEFT or first Image is an engine without the recall, Second image is an engine which has had the recall performed or a later engine assembled with the updated parts.

As noted here, but worth repeating, this info is ONLY valid for the 1978 model year ONLY.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Digging up an old thread here, but I am just getting into my 78 and I noticed that I do not have the punch marks.

The serial number is 2000290 so I know it is affected.

It looks like a bitch-and-a-half to get in to where you can see that part, but I would feel much better knowing whether or not it was done.

If not, anyone had any luck with getting the parts or service done by Honda? Seems like a long shot though.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts