Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so my bike has an interesting feature now. When I start it up it idles decently. If I give it gas it tends to sputter a little bit, but I'm thinking that has to do with some cracking on my left boot. The real interesting thing is this:

When I pull in the front brake everything "evens out", making the bike rev up. So if I ride down the street, I sputter along (maybe 3000 rpm I don't have a tach), but as soon as I start to pull in the brake it can take off. And this happens when I push the back brake pedal in enough to turn on the tail light as well.

So isn't all the aux electrical unrelated to the motor? Shouldn't it run the same without any lights?

The only thing I could think of was that if the stator was failing it might need to be powering something to spin correctly. Is that possible?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
This is certainly a weird one.

Your bike has the TI ignition. It shares the same power with the rest of the bike's electrical system. The brake light is a heavy load, so the current flowing from the battery through the main fuse, ignition switch, etc will be much higher when it is lit.

A few voltage measurements should tell us what is happening fairly quickly. Use a multimeter to measure DC voltage with the negative meter lead connected to the negative battery terminal. Start the bike and make the following measurements:

Positive battery terminal.

Black wire on one of the igniter modules.

Green wire on one of the igniter modules.

Repeat these measurements with the brake light on. Please post your results.

The stator is only used to charge the battery on your bike so it is not the problem.

One other question, have you made any battery-related modifications such as changing the battery type, etc? The battery stabilizes the voltage and is essential to proper operation.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
That is a strange one. I'm used to older cars increasing idle when the brake pedal is pushed but that's due to the vacuum booster.

On newer cars it can happen if there's a computer controlled dashpot in the throttle system, a dashpot (present for ages) is something that prevents the carb from slamming shut when you instantly take your foot off the gas, if it doesn't have one the engine will overshot under the normal idle speed and possibly die. On older cars this was nothing more than a miniature shock absorber type thing that slowed the very last portion of the butterfly plate n the carb.

The voltages Dave wants you to measure should throw a lot of light on the cause and solution. My bet is also on a poor ground somewhere.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.