Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should they be screw in or press in? I bought some today at a local Honda shop, and I want to make sure I got the correct type.

Part # 42753-HF1-670

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Should they be screw in or press in? I bought some today at a local Honda shop, and I want to make sure I got the correct type.

Part # 42753-HF1-670

I think the screw type valve stem is used sometimes on a tube,,the tubeless rims use the pressed or "pulled through" type.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Either or. Metal valve stems have a rubber seal on the inside that squashed down around the rim. If you're going rubber then it's pull through.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,270 Posts
BTW: Valve stems are another example of a standard automotive part used on bikes. The original valve stems are ordinary TR413 rubber valve stems available at any auto parts dealer.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys! I've never had a tire off the rim before, let alone replace a valve stem. I appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,270 Posts
Do yourself a big favour and invest in a bottle of tire bead lubricant. It works soooooo much better than dish detergent and won't cause corrosion on aluminum rims like some detergents can.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
If/when I replace the tires on mine I'm going with the metal replacement valve stems, proably the ones with a slight angle to them.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
As an FYI: Valve stems should be replaced every other time the tires are changed or every time if time between tire changes are more that two years.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Mine came with new tires mounted and the stems appear to have been changed at the time.

Problem being they're those JC Whitney Cheng Shen tires and while most others that have them seem to think they're OK I may want to change to Bridgestones sometime in the future.

·
Registered
82 Posts
When DavidinWi was lucky enough to have a personal tire changer I was able to get some "shorty" stems - they are about 3/4ths as big as the regular stems - they work much better for filling up the round things.

I ALWAYS will change my stems with new tires... 3.25 a piece is cheap insurance.

~Thom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts