Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ordering something online, need a few bucks more for free shipping, and I know when I change my tires I'll probably need to change the valve stem... looked through the manual but didn't see it, but, is there a size or something I should be looking at when buying them online?

Some will say a size in mm, some say nothing, some look like they press in, some look like a bolt with rubber washers, etc... just looking for something metal, maybe at an angle.

'79 CX500 Standard.

https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/catalogsearch/result/?q=valve+stem

Ideally, I like these... but asks 8.3mm or 11.3mm

https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/bikemaster-aluminum-forged-valve-stem.html

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Unless stems are leaking you shouldn't have to replace them. Unless they are really dry rotted or something.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not seen inside yet, but they and the tires are the original ones and after 25yrs of non-use they're pretty dried out. Figured for the price, probably grab the valves and when they have the tires back in stock get those ordered up as well.

Not in a rush for the stems, but again, ordering 1 thing off the site, and would like to add a few small items and make it worthwhile.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Suit yourself, just saying they are probably ok. As to your original question I have no idea what size the stems are, sorry.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd rather (for the price) swap for something that looks better anyways. I'd hate to get the tires off, new ones on then have to pull the tires off again because of a leaky valve.

Do they balance bike tires? Like they do car tires? Seen some 50/50 answers to that online when looking. Figured do it myself but, online responses in various forums aren't very unanimous.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,638 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've seen some posts about the rear tires being a bit bothersome to access the valves, so will probably go bent as well, maybe something smaller and lower.

Just wanted to double check the size. I've seen a few posts about hole size for the customs and deluxes, but I think the 78-79 standards had slightly different rims... 19" front and 18" rear, and smooth comstars not ones with raised edges like yours, and I think 16" rears on the other models?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Watched some vids on those beads, pretty cool... the Canadian site I order from sells them as a kit based on bike size... but comes with valve core remover, valve caps, and valve cores... not sure if simply this kit? or are those parts needed?

Hate to buy new valve stems and have to swap the guts out before even using them.

Stem wise, mine are the original ones, and rubber... that's why I was looking. Everything else that's rubber on/in that bike so far has needed replaced. Shame too, tires have a lot of tread left on them, but hard, dry and cracked everywhere.

Those stems are the same ones I was eyeing up on eBay, less than $5.

90 Degree CNC Motorcycle Valve Stems Tire 10mm Pair 11 3mm RIM Wheel Aluminum | eBay

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ah, so get new valve stems but have to replace the insides soon as I get them.

Just need to wait for some new tires to show up in stock I suppose... decided to give the DURO HF-261A's a try.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Filtered valve cores are cheap on ebay (as are dynabeads). I originally read about them from murrayf and have never looked back.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The kit on the Canadian site is only $24.46CAD comes with the valves cores and stuff. Not DYNA brand but I assume there are probably a few brands out there making the same thing.

DYNA on eBay 2x2oz is about $36CAD after shipping (and hopefully no duty) plus still need the filtered valve cores ($12CAD) and core remover tool ($2CAD).

Basically $25 vs $50... can't imagine their brand being much different, probably the Canadian version since when Googling, most sites I see are Canadian.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've used the Dyna Beads for about four years now. I'm on my second set of tires on one bike and still using the tires on the second bike. I've never replaced a valve core but I know they prefer you use a filtered core to keep the beads out of the valve when checking pressure. If a bead gets stuck in the valve when you're checking pressure and you don't notice it right away, you may end up letting all the air out of the tire. I check pressure by putting the valve at 6 o'clock, rap the valve with my fingers, give it a quick shot of air then check pressure and I've never had a problem. I've always installed the beads when mounting new tires so I never fed them through the valve stem. When I replaced the first set of tires, I captured all the beads I could and reused them in the second set and simply added another half ounce or so just to be sure there was enough in there. I have yet removed the original weights off my wheels, just haven't taken the time. So if you're installing your beads when mounting new tires, you won't need that kit. Just buy however many ounces you need for your tire size. I mount my own tires so I can take my time and be careful but just ask the tire installer tear the bag and stick his hand between the rim and tire and dump them in. If he's careful, he won't lose any and he won't need to worry about them sticking to the edge of the tire and getting stuck between the tire and rim.

·
Super Moderator
15,336 Posts
Always replace the valve. It's cheap insurance. I've had a few weathered ones break right off on me. Never again. In fact when I change tires I always cut the valve stem so i'm not tempted to reuse it or forget to change it.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
+ 1 on "always replace the valve"

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They're cheap enough it seems to make sense.

My main question though was is the '79 CX500 Standard had 11.3mm holes like the other CX500's. Whenever I assume something is the same, it often isn't. Like the front rotor is apparently different on mine versus the rest of the bikes, which sucks because found a place that makes new reproductions and I guess they won't fit. :S

Because my rims are larger and the smoothie Comstar's, I didn't know if the hole size may have been different as well.

If 11.3mm... then I'm getting these in either black or titanium, debating if when done the bike, what colour the rims will have been painted. :)

$(KGrHqZ,!joE+4ZoM2sNBQC1zK3Gcg~~60_35.JPG

1 - 18 of 18 Posts