Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cousing recommended this stuff called Tal Strip...Amazing. Though the back is nothing but precautions, warning of death, nervous system impairment, cancer, it removed the clear coat instantly. I used Nitrile gloves doubled up, faceshield, NIOSH approved respirator, and brushed on the gel with a toothbrush.

I used 220 grit to rough out the oxidation, then followed up with 400 grit, and then some wet sanding with 600, blue and white rouge on a 6" buffing wheel mounted to my bench grinder. Not too bad...but not the best either. Much improved though.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That came up great, especially considering that the photos both have the same date stamp.

My method would take me over a week per cover.

Can you detail your process for me? I might try it on the other side. Open to any suggestions. I started this cover at about 8pm, and finished it in about 3 hours?

·
Super Moderator
23,833 Posts
Depending on surface condition [presence of clearcoat, scratches, oxidation etc.] I wetrub with 120. This is the grade that takes the longest usually as it's doing all the work of removing defects.

Then work my way up to at least 800 for a quickie job or 2000 for a better finish followed by a hand polish with autosol and finally another polish with Meguirs nxt generation polish for a brighter finish.

·
Registered
290 Posts
My cousing recommended this stuff called Tal Strip...Amazing. Though the back is nothing but precautions, warning of death, nervous system impairment, cancer, it removed the clear coat instantly. I used Nitrile gloves doubled up, faceshield, NIOSH approved respirator, and brushed on the gel with a toothbrush.

I used 220 grit to rough out the oxidation, then followed up with 400 grit, and then some wet sanding with 600, blue and white rouge on a 6" buffing wheel mounted to my bench grinder. Not too bad...but not the best either. Much improved though.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I use this stuff: http://www.por15.com/ARTISAN-METAL-POLISH/productinfo/AMP/ In their catalog, the part they show as 1/2 dull and 1/2 shiny-bright, is the HONDA logo engine side cover! Don't be surprised at the small amount you get for $13.25. It lasts a long-time. And I use an old soft tooth brush. Someday, when I win the lottery, I'll use something motorized like what Larry LRCXed has used on Carbs and his bike(s). And RampRat06 just purchased one of those polished-up LRCXed bikes. Hope to see it soon, Vancouver, Wa.

And I need to clean up my CX. It is not polished anywhere. But I have the technology!

Montana Clifford

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.