Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone painted their 500T or 650T valve covers lately? Mine are a bit peeling, and I want to chemically strip the plastic coating, and then repaint them. There are plenty of good paints. Just wondering if you first masked all the fins, then primed, then painted. Or maybe painted the whole cover black, then sanded the fins afterward. I don't think the black paint will stick to bare metal, I'm sure a primer is needed. The masking looks like it could be time consuming and will need a good sharp razor knife to trim the excess tape. Any thoughts on this subject?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Homer, I am getting ready to do the same on my bike. First step, strip all coatings with a chemcal paint remover. Then give the base a soft sanding 1000grit. Polish part to a high shine. Mask the clear parts and powder coat the bottom black. Finally coat with diamond clear all the part. Done.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Homer, I am getting ready to do the same on my bike. First step, strip all coatings with a chemcal paint remover. Then give the base a soft sanding 1000grit. Polish part to a high shine. Mask the clear parts and powder coat the bottom black. Finally coat with diamond clear all the part. Done.

be sure to post some pics as i was considering this myself

cheers mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.