Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1983 Honda GL650I Silver Wing Interstates (1 Red, 1 Gray)
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm working on my '83 GL650I restoration project and I have three or four different aluminum parts that are looking pretty bad and need restoration. Fortunately, I have access to a vapor blaster, so I plan to use that.

One part that I want to restore is the valve covers. So, I'm wondering what exactly is the black stripe across the valve covers made of? Is it just paint?

Motor vehicle Automotive design Car Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior

Whatever it is, I'm sure the vapor blasting will remove it and I'll need to reapply the stripe with something.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1982 CX500C
111 Posts
I can’t say with certainty this is true on these Hondas, but some manufacturers have been known to use a type of epoxy based paint (even I’m not sure what it’s actually made of :unsure:) for trim striping/painting. It’s possible that’s what your stripe is made of.

·
Registered
1982 cx500tc turbo
166 Posts
Hi
Its paint and the Vapor blaster will remove it
My blaster removes it no problem

TLD 🇨🇦 🇩🇰

·
Registered
1982 GL500i
516 Posts
It's Harley Owner repellent, very potent too!

Reactions: ZXtasy

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can’t say with certainty this is true on these Hondas, but some manufacturers have been known to use a type of epoxy based paint (even I’m not sure what it’s actually made of :unsure:) for trim striping/painting. It’s possible that’s what your stripe is made of.
That makes more sense to me.

The stuff is really hard to even scratch. Got to be more than say just an enamel paint.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,691 Posts
If it isn't scratched or chipped I'd try polishing it and if that doesn't help a light sanding (+ stripping whatever polish you tried) and then painting over it.
It's Harley Owner repellent, very potent too!
Works especially well if you casually mention that it makes more HP than HD's 1340 engine with almost exactly half the CCs ;-)

·
Registered
631 Posts
In looking at your cover, The black area is not that bad IMO. If you polish the aluminum area of the head, I think you will be quite pleased with the result. You could even take some very fine sandpaper, 2000 grit or hither and lightly hit the black area. Then you could spray clear over the hole cover and should look nice. I have used VHT paints with good results. For this, I would use their engine paints and engine clears.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In looking at your cover, The black area is not that bad IMO. If you polish the aluminum area of the head, I think you will be quite pleased with the result. You could even take some very fine sandpaper, 2000 grit or hither and lightly hit the black area. Then you could spray clear over the hole cover and should look nice. I have used VHT paints with good results. For this, I would use their engine paints and engine clears.

Yes, the black stripe is in great shape on my valve covers. It's the deterioration of the clear coat and the pitting of the aluminum that I want to fix. I refer an original look which is more satin and not highly polished, which is why I was wanting to use the vapor blaster cabinet on it. But, that means I'll have to repaint the nice black stripe.

Also have to get the old deteriorating clear coat off of them. Can't do that with the buffing wheel. Decisions, decisions!

I've got some time to decide. Entire front brake system has to be completely rebuilt including the master cylinder, brakes lines, and calipers.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Yes, the black stripe is in great shape on my valve covers. It's the deterioration of the clear coat and the pitting of the aluminum that I want to fix. I refer an original look which is more satin and not highly polished, which is why I was wanting to use the vapor blaster cabinet on it. But, that means I'll have to repaint the nice black stripe.

Also have to get the old deteriorating clear coat off of them. Can't do that with the buffing wheel. Decisions, decisions!

I've got some time to decide. Entire front brake system has to be completely rebuilt including the master cylinder, brakes lines, and calipers.
I had the same situation on my cx500t with the clear coat coming off on the top of the aluminum colored area. Then there was oxidation forming their.(looked a lot like yours) I just took some sandpaper and polished it out. finer and finer grit. I have not done anything else with it yet like coating it. I keep it clean and polished and it has been looking good.

Reactions: WingMan71

·
Registered
1982 GL500i
516 Posts
If it isn't scratched or chipped I'd try polishing it and if that doesn't help a light sanding (+ stripping whatever polish you tried) and then painting over it.

Works especially well if you casually mention that it makes more HP than HD's 1340 engine with almost exactly half the CCs ;-)
Since I can go 200+ miles on one tank of gas, I don't really have the occasion to stop and talk to them, I just watch them getting smaller in my mirrors, lol!
I heard that a 2016 HD-1800 is rated at 80-85 HP, pretty shabby considering the 500 Turbo is about 80 HP, and 35 years older.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
The HD may have good torque numbers?

·
Super Moderator
23,833 Posts
It will, but has a low redline.

Power is torque multiplied by RPM. Presumably the evo makes at least double {probably triple} the torque.

There may have been some disparity in the way the figures are arrived at favouring the 450 but the figures must be ballpark.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,691 Posts
Really good torque is one of the things Harley guys try to tell guys like us makes their bikes so much better than ours but that is more myth/dogma than anything. Harley hasn't been the torque king since the GL1500 came out and the 1500 had much better HP numbers too.

I used to be in a club that had a few Harley guys in it and (being fairly new to bikes at the time) at first I believed some of the stuff they told me about my GS400 not being as capable as their bigger bikes. Then I travelled to an out of town event with one of the guys. He said "You go first because on the 400 with a sidecar and a passenger so you won't be able to keep up with me on the 1200 Harley by myself". About half way there I pulled over and waited for about 10 minutes; When he caught up he said "I can't keep up with you so I'd better lead from here".

Later on I got a Dnepr sidecar outfit and when its engine needed parts that I couldn't get (this was pre internet) I had it replaced with one from a BMW R69S (14 years older, 150cc smaller, 7 more HP). One of the Harley guys wanted to see what riding in a sidecar was like so I told him to get in. When I let the clutch out he sort of jumped and looked over his shoulder. When I asked what was wrong he said he was looking for the truck that had driven into us. I told him that was just what real torque felt like (the numbers were lower than for his HD but numbers don't tell the whole story).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts