Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went through and completed a triple bypass. The bike runs great except I’m getting a lot of valve clatter. I set the vales to the specs in my manual. I’m going to dress the tappets this weekend. Any other suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Many times when adjusting the tappets they will loosen just a smidge as you secure the top nut, so maybe going just a bit tighter than spec to allow for that tightening will give you the right spot. Always recheck the gap after the top nut is done I like mine a shade to the tight side.

+1 to both Shep and CXPhreak on their ideas.

Joel in the Couve.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
+1 to what Ramprat and his brother Ramprat and his other brother Ramprat said.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I set the valves on TDC. The exhaust gaskets are new. I'll try dressing the tappets and reset them once more.
There is TDC twice on the engine. One is correct and the other is 180 degrees off is what they are trying to say.

Also, I have mentored people who put the decimal point in the wrong place when choosing a feeler guage. THe gap is less than paper thin.

·
Super Moderator
24,023 Posts
The compression stroke is the one where at TDC the valves on the cylinder are all closed.

If the valves have already been set on the wrong stroke you are now looking for the stroke with the smaller gap.

If they have been set on the correct stroke you will have the correct gap at TDC but no gap on 2 of the valves when turned through a full turn to TDC again.

Edited due to an error in content.

·
Registered
977 Posts
The compression stroke is the one where at TDC the valves on the cylinder are all open.

If the valves have already been set on the wrong stroke you are now looking for the stroke with the smaller gap.

If they have been set on the correct stroke you will have the correct gap at TDC but no gap on 2 of the valves when turned through a full turn to TDC again.

Wow. That sure confused the crap out of me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.