Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Afternoon Gentlmen

Question how hard is it to adjust the valves on a CX500? I have fair mechanical skills. Do I need to buy a head gasket kit, is there anything I need before starting as far as parts, sprays, cleaners? Are there any specialized tools I will need? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
810 Posts
It's pretty easy. If you look at the procedure in your repair manual it's straight forward. The only special tool needed will be a couple of proper thickness feeler gauges. I have had the valve covers off several times on my bike and never replaced the

gaskets. They are good and thick and haven't leaked yet. Be mindful that very little torque is needed when putting the covers back on. I use a plain socket without the handle to tighten the cover bolts.

Depending on how much effort you want to put into this you may want to take a look at Shep's write-up on dressing tappets.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im glad it's easy because I am a caveman. Stitch thanks for the videos makes it a lot easier to understand. John when you mention Sheps dressing the tappets is that sanding them to a convex? Stitch should I do my cam tensioner at tthe same time? If so when you show the screw by the TL and TR window do you loosen that I saw you whack it with a board can you elaborate on that a little?

Thanks Guys

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Adjust the cam chain tension when the L side valves are in the adjusting (TDC) position. Loosen the bolt head a couple turns and tap it to ensure the spring inside takes up chain slack. Tighten the bolt tenderly, it is not something you want to break.

Download the service manual--see Blindstitch's post above, the link is in red at the bottom right.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Im glad it's easy because I am a caveman. Stitch thanks for the videos makes it a lot easier to understand. John when you mention Sheps dressing the tappets is that sanding them to a convex? Stitch should I do my cam tensioner at tthe same time? If so when you show the screw by the TL and TR window do you loosen that I saw you whack it with a board can you elaborate on that a little?

Thanks Guys

Yes they require a meniscus on them as in,"B" on this picture

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meniscus

·
Registered
2,597 Posts

Thanks Guys

i did the videos not stitch

and the reason i tapped on the tensor was because to to break it loose if it was stuck the wood will take the hit better than busting the rear case......

and now then on the adjuster you want to back it off a couple of turns then whack it with a rubber mallet or a chunk of wood after you tap on it tighten it back up and your good to go

and thank you for saying the videos helped (and no i am not mad that you thought stitch made them)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i did the videos not stitch

and the reason i tapped on the tensor was because to to break it loose if it was stuck the wood will take the hit better than busting the rear case......

and now then on the adjuster you want to back it off a couple of turns then whack it with a rubber mallet or a chunk of wood after you tap on it tighten it back up and your good to go

and thank you for saying the videos helped (and no i am not mad that you thought stitch made them)
Thanks Lucky. The videos are great it gave me the confidence that even a caveman like me can do it. I was wondering if you could send your assisstants over to help me

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
lol my aids are well over 1100 miles away now minus my daughter.....but thanks man and if you noticed how quick my bike started just a heads up it always started that quick (when i have a good battery) but once i did my valves and cam adjustment it was and has better performance so you should really tell the difference so you will enjoy it

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi guys. Today I did my first valve adjustment and cam tensioner adjust. I changed the plugs,oil and antifreeze. Inspected all the hoses to the radiator cleaned and polished. Let's Ride!!!!! Lucky couldnt have done it without your video,(no balls)with the step by step link frop shepster it went smooth.The only problem is it still sounds like a sewing machine. The new pipes made it so quiet that I can hear every little thing. Is this normal? I didn't have to adjust the tappets that much the bike only has 12k on it. The darn thing runs like a jack rabbit being chased.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
if your bike is real quite then its right and yep they are supposed to sound like a sewing machine glad the videos helped that was the reasoning i made them that way i can help out other people from a far

·
Registered
8,422 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Lucky, really liked the videos! Would the procedures be the same for my 82 GL500 Interstate? Also, a video for the mech seal replacement using Sheps method would be a godsend!! Is there anything like that around?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.