Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently aquired a 1983 GL650 Silverwing Interstate with 640 origional miles. The bike was last registered 20 years ago. The engine was stuck, but after a night with PB Blaster the engine turned. I got a new battery, but when the starter button was pushed I only got a click. I the removed the starter and found it froze. I then dissambled the starter removed the rust from the commutator and fields, reassembled it and reinstalled it and the starter then spun the motor as it should. I put fresh fuel in the tank and the bike started right up and idled perfectly. I suspect that because the bike had so few miles on it that the valves probably were never adjusted. So I would like to know if anyone can tell me the valve clearances for the bike.

Thanks

Dean Brown

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
These motors DO make some noise when running, due to the solid lifters. May want to add an inline filter as SOON as possible in between the petcock and the carbs to catch what rust may have formed on the inside of the fuel tank over the years of sitting from plugging up those tiny holes and passages in the carbs.

May also want to include your bike/year and location in your profile.

Hope this helps. And ENJOY!!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
a warm welcome from spain.

wow....650 miles from new,pretty immpressive....sweet

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
Yet another resurrection!!!! YAY Welcome aboard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts