Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured it was time to sync my carbs when the project did not go so well. I could not find my old tube so I bough new aquarium tube. The aquarium tube would melt and break off at the fitting so I had to resort to using a standard vacuum gage. I know this is a crude way to try to preform this adjustment but I did find some interesting results. In the process I was able to get the left cylinder to stay in the green (normal engine) The right would only bounce 10-20 in the big red zone. Despite turning the sync in or out, the right would not do the same as the left. I figured there might be a vacuum leak somewhere. I did the usual spraying around of carb cleaner and found none. To make sure carb spray probing was valid, I open the vacuum gage port a little and sprayed some in. The RPM would go up as normal on the left but the the engine would stall out every time if I sprayed into the right port. This seems very strange to me.

I use the bike daily and try to deal with routine problems when I can. Every part of the ignition has be serviced or replaced. The bike runs so so. It's a little sloppy in the mid range, especially when hot.

·
Super Moderator
2,845 Posts
It sounds to me like your using the mixture screws to try and sync the carbs. Is this what your using in the picture to try and balance them?

If so, that is the mixture adjustment for each carb. Set them to 2 1/2 turns out.

The balancing is done with the screw in between the two throttle shafts.

You'll need to loosen the 8mm nut slightly and turn the center to adjust the vacuum signal between the two carb to get them even.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Larry, thanks for the reply and all the info you contribute to the forum.

No, I'm definitely working the sync screw. I make my adjustments by stopping the engine then turning the throttle so to access it with wrench and small screw driver. I set the mixture screws to compensate for blocked off ACV.

I'm sure there are various reasons my bike is not running tip-top but there must be something major going on with the right cyl.

·
Super Moderator
2,845 Posts
Have you cleaned out the low jet?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Larry, thanks for the reply and all the info you contribute to the forum.

No, I'm definitely working the sync screw. I make my adjustments by stopping the engine then turning the throttle so to access it with wrench and small screw driver. I set the mixture screws to compensate for blocked off ACV.

I'm sure there are various reasons my bike is not running tip-top but there must be something major going on with the right cyl.

What bike do you have, re vacuum petcock? Assuming so, did you remember to block the vacuum line coming from the right carb to the petcock?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have had them out about a year ago or so per your method. When chasing ignition problems in the past, I would suspect the carbs first. The first time I did pull out those low jets, there was some buildup.

it's a 79..... no vacuum petcock.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts