Honda CX 500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
The ones on Eccles were being thrown out by my brother in law's neighbour so he snagged them for me. I pair $10 each for the ones before that at a local aftermarket/custom HD shop. I was planning to see what he had that I could use on the GoldWing this year but I decided it could wait until next year....

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have a set of HD touring bike mufflers I'm going to put on the Goldwing. They're from one of my dad's Road Glides, unsure if it's '06 or '13. Either way, they're new never used; in typical HD fashion they were replaced before the bike ever left the dealer.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Where do you find them inexpensively and how much do you expect to pay for a pair?
Do you search by year! If so, what year?
If searching eBay what search terms do you use?
Craigslist seems to be the best source, at least in my area. I've paid between $20 and $70 for them, depending on the condition and seller.

Here's one for $30, including other bits. But it's in Boston so you'd be better off finding something local

·
Registered
43 Posts
Are the cat converters in the muffler themselves or in the crossover section?
How easy are these to spot if in the muffler??...tapped sensor hole? or less obvious?
The converter element is right inside the muffler and forms part of the baffling system. You can see it easily by looking into the leading end. Looks like a honeycomb sort of structure. Drilling it is not easy as it is hard as a rock. Plus you need a very long bit. I have a pair here still in the box never fired and I doubt that I’ll ever use them because they are the catalytic converter type. They were cheap, but a poor choice in my opinion.

Reactions: bahn88

·
Registered
278 Posts
I looked in my stash and found I had a set with the catalytic plug in them. Curiosity got the best of me. I drilled it 4 times with a 1/2” or 13mm bit. Then chiseled to our the rest. It was 2” or 50 mm thick. It was all metal that would stick to a magnet. I weighted it 4oz difference. Not that much of a difference other that back pressure.

Reactions: bahn88

·
Registered
989 Posts
So, wpuld the back pressure from a catalyst equipped set of mufflers off a Harley be a bad thing to fit to a cx500 w/std motor and no mods?

Or, is the backpressure going to mess with the carb operation?

I am not looking for a louder bike, merely a good looking set of mufflers yo replace the stock mufflers.

Considering deleting the H-box as a PO tried to replace the screws or remove the chrome trim and as a result broke off a screw or two in the heat shields ,(one each side) and as a result the Hbox has no heat shields and looks crappy being rusty...
I don't do pipe wrap..
Thanks!
David

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
I don't think the cats produce a lot of back pressure when new but as I understand it, they can become clogged over time, causing the exhaust to become restrictive (as in the exhaust can't pass through them).

·
Registered
9,525 Posts
I don't think the cats produce a lot of back pressure when new but as I understand it, they can become clogged over time, causing the exhaust to become restrictive (as in the exhaust can't pass through them).
Same thing happens in your car. Unless you're running leaded gas, it should take a long time to manifest.

·
Registered
915 Posts
One of the guys on the NGW forum had his plug up enough that it had a big effect on how the engine ran in a few months.
(From)Not cat converter compatible oil?? (e.g. high zinc)...no not starting a oil thread...
most MA2 oils are cat. compatible, but the zinc is somewhat lower than older mineral oils.
Appreciate than the MA2 is related to friction modifiers and Zn is an antiwear/sacrificial compound....

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
4 cylinder 'Wings can smoke on startup. This is caused by a minuscule amount of oil getting past the rings when the engine is cold, especially on the left side when parked on the side stand, although mine (which is held upright by the sidecar) does it occasionally too.We're talking about such a small amount that the oil usually doesn't need to be topped up between changes but the clouds cam occasionally be quite impressive. It was common enough that Honda issued a service bulletin explaining that it was normal and nothing to be concerned about as long as it stops after a few seconds.
Perhaps that's why his cats became fouled....

·
Registered
188 Posts
4 cylinder 'Wings can smoke on startup. This is caused by a minuscule amount of oil getting past the rings when the engine is cold, especially on the left side when parked on the side stand, although mine (which is held upright by the sidecar) does it occasionally too.We're talking about such a small amount that the oil usually doesn't need to be topped up between changes but the clouds cam occasionally be quite impressive. It was common enough that Honda issued a service bulletin explaining that it was normal and nothing to be concerned about as long as it stops after a few seconds.
Perhaps that's why his cats became fouled....
Yup, my 1500's valve guide seals let a smidge of oil sneaky by. If I shut it off while on the side stand it'll puff briefly at startup. BUT if I shut it off after putting it on the center stand it won't. Crazy stuff.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
I can't say for sure about 1500s but on the 4 cylinder 'Wings oil that is left in the cylinder "below" the piston when the engine is shut off pools in the cylinders and if the ring gaps happen to be facing downward (they rotate in the grooves during operation) when the engine cools and the gaps open a tiny drop of oil can work it's way through and burn when the engine is started. And if it is parked on the side stand the oil in the left cylinders runs downhill to sit against the pistons so it is more likely to happen.
The BMW K bikes have all of the cylinders facing left and apparently some of them can generate quite a smoke screen if the side stand is used.....

·
Registered
974 Posts
It is very common on all the K bikes. I am a fan of them so not bad talking them. It’s my understanding that the oil gets to the combustion chamber via the valve stems, not the piston rings. The oil stays pooled up in the valve cover when on the side stand asking the valve stem seal to keep the oil out while submerged.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
That's possible but I remember reading about it getting past the rings when the K bikes first came out, IIRC in an article about a recall that involved pistons that were designed so that the rings couldn't rotate.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Valve stems for the 1500 Wings also. Doesn't bother me any seeing a puff here and there knowing why it's happening.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I can't say for sure about 1500s but on the 4 cylinder 'Wings oil that is left in the cylinder "below" the piston when the engine is shut off pools in the cylinders and if the ring gaps happen to be facing downward (they rotate in the grooves during operation) when the engine cools and the gaps open a tiny drop of oil can work it's way through and burn when the engine is started. And if it is parked on the side stand the oil in the left cylinders runs downhill to sit against the pistons so it is more likely to happen.
The BMW K bikes have all of the cylinders facing left and apparently some of them can generate quite a smoke screen if the side stand is used.....
Yep, i had a (8valve) K100RS for bout 20 years, &200000km from new
Only used the side stand after washing to allow water to funnel into a "drain hole" and not evaporate and get into the electrics.....else it would look like a big 2-stroke going down the highway with all that smoke...

21 - 40 of 42 Posts