Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m rebuilding my 81 cx 500. I’m planning on leaving the h-box so I don’t have to re jet/tune the carbs. I’ve read that some guys are using Harley-Davidson mufflers to replace the stock ones. The question is will any hd muffler work?

·
Registered
9,444 Posts
Look for Dyna mufflers from models without the crossover pipe. I don't remember which years. You can use the later ones, but you'll need to weld plugs into the crossover ports.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Look for Dyna mufflers from models without the crossover pipe. I don't remember which years. You can use the later ones, but you'll need to weld plugs into the crossover ports.
From your experience/older threads..Is the Dyna mostly preferred for the ease of attachment/bracketry or more than that (e.g. performance, note, aesthetics,pipe diameter...) I seem to recall its the former (ease of attachment) but I may have forgotten something more important......

·
Registered
9,444 Posts
The Dyna mufflers are closest to stock length. Other styles should fit, as well, if you like the look. I think they're 1.75" pipes. You'll install them without the stock muffler gaskets..

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've done this on multiple bikes now with multiple HD variants. The Sportster pipes seem to be the best fit, they are slightly smaller than other ones. In addition to the crossover joint and overall size, look for how the pipes are mounts. I have not had to re-jet on any of these examples.

Here are a few examples from my garage. The first is on a Triumph Adventurer. The diameter of these was too large for the CX, but the mounting connections were easy to fab some brackets for

Here are the current set on an '80 CX Deluxe. They are smaller than the other ones and barely clear the rear shock mount. they have a welded in mounting tab and I haven't yet fab'd a bracket. The attachment points are more awkward than the other set.

And here's a set I did on a '79 CX Custom a few years back.

Reactions: bahn88

·
Registered
991 Posts
Those pipes have the right bracket for easy installation. If you like black go for it. The pre-crossover pipes are getting hard to find. I have a couple of sets I paid less then $10 dollars.
I keep looking at swap meets, but getting hard to find.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I think the shorter sportster's look good without luggage, but with luggage I prefer the dyna's. I love the tone but wouldn't want it any louder if your going any distance. If you do want it a little louder use a step drill bit to drill out the baffle. When you go too far buy another pair. ;)

Reactions: bahn88

·
Registered
43 Posts
Here's another vote for the earlier Sportster mufflers. While I cannot speak to CX500 fitment, I put them on my GL1000. They sound great at idle, have easily utilized mounting tabs, superior chrome and lack the crossover. (The crossover can be plugged, but those without it are "cleaner" looking).

Also, be careful not to get a pair with the catalytic converters. They'll work, but are heavy and quieter.

One more thing, the Sportster mufflers are designed for a roughly 1000cc engine. They match well with the 1000 Goldwing. I'm not sure what their tone would be with a 500. Here's my 1000:

Reactions: MarkL and TheValk

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
Original HD mufflers are really high quality items. I've had the same ones on my GoldWing since '97 and the ones I've had on winter (=salted roads) bikes have all lasted 5 years or more (other mufflers become rusty after a year or so).

BTW: Eliminating the H box shouldn't require re-jetting. Many of us are running HD mufflers with completely separate left & right exhausts with the original jets with absolutely no problems. It's when you mess with the air filter that you need to re-jet.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Here's another vote for the earlier Sportster mufflers. While I cannot speak to CX500 fitment, I put them on my GL1000. They sound great at idle, have easily utilized mounting tabs, superior chrome and lack the crossover. (The crossover can be plugged, but those without it are "cleaner" looking).

Also, be careful not to get a pair with the catalytic converters. They'll work, but are heavy and quieter.

One more thing, the Sportster mufflers are designed for a roughly 1000cc engine. They match well with the 1000 Goldwing. I'm not sure what their tone would be with a 500. Here's my 1000:

View attachment 205354
Are the cat converters in the muffler themselves or in the crossover section?
How easy are these to spot if in the muffler??...tapped sensor hole? or less obvious?

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
Here's how I blocked the openings for the crossover on mine. After I installed these I read about some of them having cats and that they should be drilled out so they don't clog. Mine are working OK for now but if I ever remove one from the pipe I'll look for a cat and drill them if they are there.

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
I thought about welding but figured the welds would be the starting points for the rust. Turns out the washers have rusted but the chrome next to them was still OK when I had the exhausts off to clean up the headers last summer.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Where do you find them inexpensively and how much do you expect to pay for a pair?
Do you search by year! If so, what year?
If searching eBay what search terms do you use?

Thanks!

David in Southern AZ

1 - 20 of 42 Posts