Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1973 Honda CB450 k6; 1981 Honda GL500 Silverwing Interstate
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm leaving for a trip 3 hours upstate tomorrow morning and my clutch started slipping today.

Cable was tight so I loosened it and it's not as bad but it's still starting.

Oil is fine, i use the same in my other bike with no issues.

Bike won't slip untill about 7k in third grabbing the throttle hard. Above 8k rest of the gears. I can get it to 70mph but barely.

None of my trip will be over 60mph.

Question is is there a quick fix? Or can i make it through the weekend?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Did you try adjusting the cable at the clutch-actuation arm...or just at the handle bar for free play?

·
Super Moderator
23,060 Posts
At the bottom adjuster - are the nuts one above and one below the mounting projection on the front of the motor or both above?

They should be both above with one nut as lock nut to the other.

If placed one above and one below this can cause weird clutch behaviour.

Just a possibility.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I am just trying to think of the obvious..ATM...as once tended to you'll wanna test it again....the oils MA/MA2 rated? (yeah know its in a few bikes as you mentioned)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am just trying to think of the obvious..ATM...as once tended to you'll wanna test it again....the oils MA/MA2 rated? (yeah know its in a few bikes as you mentioned)
I tested it after I adjusted
this is the oil
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Product Automotive tire

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
MA2 is the "better oil" for clutch performance as you've pictured...
Double check post #4...that's been seen before..(incorrect adjuster arrangement)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At the bottom adjuster - are the nuts one above and one below the mounting projection on the front of the motor or both above?

They should be both above with one nut as lock nut to the other.

If placed one above and one below this can cause weird clutch behaviour.

Just a possibility.
Both above. It was sized on there really good. But the threaded part is stripped so it kind of just sits there now.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
So you can grab it (the cable) from the bottom mounting and pull it upwards (i.e. freeplay)?..if so that may be it...??

Cable well lubed not binding in the housing/outer??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So you can grab it (the cable) from the bottom mounting and pull it upwards (i.e. freeplay)?..if so that may be it...??

Cable well lubed not binding in the housing/outer??
The casing part is stripped. I can pull up on the cable. I would think that wouldn't be able to disengage the clutch though. And I feel like that wouldn't be consistant

·
Super Moderator
5,143 Posts
I'm leaving for a trip 3 hours upstate tomorrow morning and my clutch started slipping today....

...Bike won't slip untill about 7k in third grabbing the throttle hard. Above 8k rest of the gears. I can get it to 70mph but barely.

None of my trip will be over 60mph.

Question is is there a quick fix? Or can i make it through the weekend?
My guess is that you could make it through the weekend. From the above you know what things to avoid, such as grabbing the throttle hard.

·
Registered
1982 GL500i
457 Posts
Might just be time to measure and/or replace the clutch springs.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
There is no thread in the casing part. Adjustment is made with the first nut which is locked with the second.
Apologies to OP for the "bum-steer"...doing school enrollment forms today & and didn't go to check......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
834 Posts
I had the same problem and came across a post from someone else who had it too. Clutch slipping at full throttle / high RPM
He told me privately that replacing the springs resolved the problem for him. I replaced the springs and plates on mine and the problem went away. The plates looked good suggesting the problem was the springs, although I think perhaps something can happen to the the effectiveness of the plates when a bike sits for a long time, don't know for sure.

I think I have read where re-torquing the nuts might help but you would likely need a new clutch cover gasket to do even that. I was able to ride round town with an occasional 65 mph short run and do so for a few hundred miles before making my repair. Seems that the poster in the link I provided may have ridden his in the same manner. That being said and having experienced the feeling of a slipping clutch, I would not ride very far from home or for very long with one slipping. If you do go for the ride, make sure you have some emergency roadside assistance/towing insurance. I have it just because my bike is old, well maintained though it may be. I hope you resolved that brake issue and that you are not being overanxious. You know, after substantial repairs to my bike and years of it sitting, it was David who advised me to do a few shakedown runs of my bike before riding it a long distance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts