Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,398 Posts
You can use one of those bulb enclosures but read the watts on the box for the new bulb. If you put in more watts than supplied plus what you use there won't be any extra. Some of the ultra lights are 100 watts. Where as ours are 55/60.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can use one of those bulb enclosures but read the watts on the box for the new bulb. If you put in more watts than supplied plus what you use there won't be any extra. Some of the ultra lights are 100 watts. Where as ours are 55/60.

Was going to go for the "brighter" road legal 60/55s I've found the Osram Nightbreakers are noticbly better than standard in the car and can be got for reasonable prices. Ah! is there any difference between H4s designed for cars and bikes. I was assuming not, as the ""bike specific ones", are usually more expensive, I assumed this is just marketing. But is there a difference as cars usually run pairs and bikes singles?

·
Super Moderator
15,398 Posts
There probably isn't a big difference besides maybe reflector position but then again car lights aren't labeled left or right so as long as it fits the hole it should be good.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I put an automotive halogen bulb into my 1982 Suzuki GS850G and it almost melted my whole electrical system. I hadnt realized at the time the different wattage. I got lucky it didnt ruin my ECM or charging system.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,065 Posts
You have re-opened a thread from 9 years ago.

IIRC, your '82 Suzuki should have come with a 55/60W H4 bulb, which is the standard power rating for automotive H4 headlights.
I used a headlight with a 55/60W H4 on my '78 GS400 for several years and when I had the '83 GS400 I used a Honda Interstate fairing (from my GL1100 but the same as used on the GL500/650) on it with the 55/60W H4 that came with the fairing and neither bike's wiring was harmed by using them.
I'd imagine that an H4 that drew enough power to put your 850's wiring at risk would have put the wiring of any car it was used in at risk of melting too.

·
Registered
1982 500gli
14 Posts
My 82 gl500 had a sealed beam 7"dia when I bought it. Looking for a LED sealed beam without the halos or turn signals ( which are illegal, as they are not 4" from headlight) Any suggestion for a brighter sealed beam.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,065 Posts
Your GL500 came with a reflector/lens headlight unit and a replaceable H4 halogen bulb so someone must have replaced it with a sealed beam (39 years is a long time).

When I replaced the headlights of both of my bikes LED headlights were new & expensive so I used modern headlight units and HID bulbs (the difference was huge) so I can't recommend specific LED headlights but I will say that if you can't find a suitable one without the built in "signals" you can get one with and just not connect them. And AFAIK the halo is OK as long as the low beam is on too.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
10,885 Posts
Or get a 7" reflector and an H4 LED bulb.

·
Registered
1982 500gli
14 Posts
Yes, 39 years is a longtime. The headlight date is 20 years old, and is so dim I can't ride after dark.
Randall: Where can I look to find a suitable reflector? LED bulbs are a easy purchase.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
10,885 Posts
Search eBay or Amazon for 7" motorcycle headlight H4. Then search for H4 LED.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts