Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some time to work on my 1979 CX500 custom today. The heads had sat with penetrating oil on them for several days. I first attempted to turn the motor again with a socket wrench. It turned! For a minute, I was pretty excited, then I realized something. The left piston would travel the full range of motion, but the right piston would only come about half way up. So, I decided I should take the motor out and rebuild it, which really was my plan all along. This CX500 has about 23,000 miles on it, and it sat for about 20 years, so it needs some TLC.

So I went to work on pulling the motor out. I have pulled motors out of cars, and I knew this would be easier, but I was amazed at how quickly the motor came out.

Now with the motor removed, I could better inspect the frame. The frame looks solid, but does have several spots with surface rust.

I have been debating whether to do a full restore now, and probably not ride it until next summer, or just to get it mechanically operating and ride it, then tear it down and restore it over the winter. After dinner, I decided that this motor cycle had been neglected for two decades. It deserved to be restored, and I would be happier riding it if it was in the condition that it deserved. So I went out to the garage and did a little bit more.

I'm tired. Good night!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I'm a bit scared by the comment that the right cylinder only has half of its travel - and the left seems OK ??? -

if you turn the motor over and watch both pistons - do they move in unison - one up, one down etc.. or is the motor turning and getting stuck when the right piston is coming up ?? and does it lock the whole motor at this point ?

can you tun the motor backwards - and does this have any further movement in it?

another day tomorrow - more progress

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm a bit scared by the comment that the right cylinder only has half of its travel - and the left seems OK ??? -

if you turn the motor over and watch both pistons - do they move in unison - one up, one down etc.. or is the motor turning and getting stuck when the right piston is coming up ?? and does it lock the whole motor at this point ?

can you tun the motor backwards - and does this have any further movement in it?

another day tomorrow - more progress

Either way I turn the motor, it moves. It never actually locks up. When I was first turning the motor, I was looking at only the right piston. Everything seemed normal. Then I looked at the left piston and it was only traveling halfway up, then nothing for half a turn, then it would move down as I continued to turn. I almost wonder if the rod is broken and the bottom part of the rod is only long enough to push it half way up. Of course, then the rod would not be pulling it down when it moves down. I guess I will find out soon enough what the problem is. I have to leave town again soon, so I will probably be a couple of weeks before the motor gets taken apart. Ill let you know what I find out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.