Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
I dunno, what`s your problem?

That looks like a needle jet, and yes, they`re kinda` important...

They go in first when installing the secondary emulsion tube (the larger brass one that screws out) and in conjunction with the needle controls fuelling throughout a large throttle opening range.

Plop the jet in first (they go in one way - check) and then when the emulsion tube is screwed in it holds them in place.

You should be able to see them just poking out into the venturi when installed - look where the needle goes.

They go in `f`;

See the larger hole in the bottom of the venturi, that`s where they sit;

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Your bike probably won't work right without those parts.

The high speed jet screws into a brass emulsion tube,,the brass emulsion tube screws into the carb body,,take the emulsion tube out and put this part into the carb body,,then screw the brass tube back in to hold it in place,,it protrudes into the throat of the carb and the vacuum slide needle goes into it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh wow.

thanks so much

maybe this is my problem

I took the bowls off in the dark, stupid...

So this jet, goes in 1st, then the long screw tube??

How will I know which way the jet goes in? Will it really only fit one way?

My main question is, what kind of symptons could this cause if they were both missisg?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Will it really only fit one way?

My main question is, what kind of symptons could this cause if they were both missisg?

Yeah, I think it would only go together the right way,,I think the tapered side goes into the carb first.

I believe the fuel mixture would be very rich if you were running without these,,not positive though.

·
Registered
307 Posts
One end of the jet is slightly concave (or convex, can`t remember), rounded,anyway, and that end meets the emulsion tube, so when the carbs are in there normal orientation on the bike that end is `down`. The other end is sort of `recesssed`, and that pokes out into the venturi.

Without that jet in place i would think you`ll be running mega rich, with all the problems associated with that.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
WoW!......So THAT is where those metering rods attatched to the slides go into, eh?.......I am SO glad those suckers didn't fall out when I did my carbs....rofl

I would hazard a guess that the concave, or inward curved part should be the side facing out towards the throat..But, not even knowing these critters existed, until just this minute?......rofl

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok,

My bike is running pretty decent now. Thanks guys.

I am getting a little poping, that very hard to hear around 4k.

I noticed my right pipe is hotter in temp than my left.

I heard something that this is supposed to be right?? Anyone know anything about this

Like I said, bike running decent, but right pipe is hotter than left, minor popping.

Brand new plugs in.

Whats the suggestion on the air screw mixture setting?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Generally, lightly seat and turn 2 to 2 1/2 turns out to start, then adjust the idle speed knob to +/- 1100 rpms.

Does it pop on deceleration? If so, can you tell which side?.....popping on deceleration usually indicates a lean condition of the idle mixture screw. Which could make one side run hotter than the other.

If it's popping just running at 4k, perhaps a plug boot is arcing? May need to adjust the valves? COULD be a bad coil?

But, kinda "leaning" towrds lean......lol

Might be an exhaust leak too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts