Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 78 cx lightly modded for on/off road use. Nothing serious, just logging and fire trails while keeping it's integrity on road as well. I"m running Shinko Enduro's on it currently which have worn extremely well, but do pick up gravel from time to time. I've also added slightly longer (+1") rear shocks for a little more ground clearance without over stressing the drive shaft. Needless to say, there is not much clearance between the stock front fender and wheel. I would like to get an aftermarket fender to fit the front end so I can do more adventure type riding and provide more clearance for use on gravel roads. I'm running a fork brace, so I'm not looking to go too high, just high enough to add more a bit more clearance for rocks and debris.

I thought about going with a universal off road fender which would fit the look of my bike (scrambler look that now has rock guard on the headlight and brush hand guards). I've had this bike in many places and camped off of it in the backcountry for years. It's low end torque has gotten me through lots of different terrain and hasn't failed me yet.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I have a 78 cx lightly modded for on/off road use. Nothing serious, just logging and fire trails while keeping it's integrity on road as well. I"m running Shinko Enduro's on it currently which have worn extremely well, but do pick up gravel from time to time. I've also added slightly longer (+1") rear shocks for a little more ground clearance without over stressing the drive shaft. Needless to say, there is not much clearance between the stock front fender and wheel. I would like to get an aftermarket fender to fit the front end so I can do more adventure type riding and provide more clearance for use on gravel roads. I'm running a fork brace, so I'm not looking to go too high, just high enough to add more a bit more clearance for rocks and debris.

I thought about going with a universal off road fender which would fit the look of my bike (scrambler look that now has rock guard on the headlight and brush hand guards). I've had this bike in many places and camped off of it in the backcountry for years. It's low end torque has gotten me through lots of different terrain and hasn't failed me yet.

Any ideas?
Remove the original guard from its mount and attach your new guard to the mount.

OEM is 4 rivets. I replace with stainless button head bolts and stainless nyloc nuts.
Thanks! I was planning to go with a universal plastic enduro/dirt bike mud guard. This would not likely be able to attach to the mounts in the forks. Would likely need to bolt it to the bottom of the tripple tree or, just above or below the fork brace (if there is room to do so. Not sure this would be the best option.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts