Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I'm researching new controls for my 79 cx500. Saw that a member on here recommended this unit from dime city.

Comparing it to the current wiring diagram, the only thing I don't see is where to wire the flasher relay.

On the stock controls, it's the gray wire that runs from the left control to the flasher. See diagram

FullSizeRender1.jpg

Any tips

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,451 Posts
My best guess, and don't hold me to it, is the #5 pin, brown/white T/S main from the gray wire from flasher.
I'm sure others will correct me if wrong, which certainly is possible.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’m having the same issue. Non of the aftermarket switches show anything going to the flasher. How are they gonna flash if there isn’t a wire going to the flasher. P.s. I know very little about wiring.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Show us the wiring diagram of the left and right hand controls you plan to use and then we can help.

·
Super Moderator
13,414 Posts
Actually, the gray wire comes from the flasher (it sounds like a semantic distinction but if you think of it that way it makes it easier to understand circuits).

It would be relatively easy to figure out which wire feeds the turn signal switch if you have it in your hand. Most turn signal switches have only 3 wires so if you know which is left and which right the feed wire has to be the other one. If you don't know what any of the 3 are a couple of minutes with an ohm meter checking which ones are connected to each other when the switch is in which position will tell you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Actually, the gray wire comes from the flasher (it sounds like a semantic distinction but if you think of it that way it makes it easier to understand circuits).

It would be relatively easy to figure out which wire feeds the turn signal switch if you have it in your hand. Most turn signal switches have only 3 wires so if you know which is left and which right the feed wire has to be the other one. If you don't know what any of the 3 are a couple of minutes with an ohm meter checking which ones are connected to each other when the switch is in which position will tell you.
Hi,

I replaced the OEM controls on the left handlebar of my GL500 a few years ago. I bought a generic one off eBay that had the correct features and used a pin extractor tool to pull out the pins from the connector and then reinserted them according to the pinout configuration in the shop manual.

Best,

Rob H.
82 Honda Gl500I

1 - 6 of 6 Posts