Honda CX 500 Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
If it's not making contact, I don't think that marring will affect operation at all.
I can't tell if the armature stack is making contact with the field magnets but I am assuming that the marks on the field magnets are indicative of contact. That's the heart of my question.

·
Super Moderator
23,405 Posts
The brushes are not magnets. They are carbon.
\
I too was referring to the bearing in the end cap.

I'll leave it here.

I'm just adding to the confusion.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The starter has bushings rather than bearings AFAIK. The kits that I see on line seem to have one bushing, I assume to replace the one in the end cap. Is that what you have tried?
The wear marks indicate that the armature was not running true. Possibly a bent or worn shaft? I suspect that a starter repair service could source the bushing.
A bushing is just a type of bearing, but I suppose I should say bushing, since it's more descriptive...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The brushes are not magnets. They are carbon.
\
I too was referring to the bearing in the end cap.

I'll leave it here.

I'm just adding to the confusion.
Aren't they (the brushes) just electromagnets when energy is run through them?
On further review, I guess I added to the confusion by calling them magnets. My research says they just pass electricity. My bad.

·
Super Moderator
23,405 Posts
No, they're electrical contacts. One sends in the power, the other lets the ground ....errr .... go to ground.

The field coils {windings inside the motor housing} are the electro magnets. The brushes supply power to energise these.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
No, they're electrical contacts. One sends in the power, the other lets the ground ....errr .... go to ground.

The field coils {windings inside the motor housing} are the electro magnets. The brushes supply power to energise these.
So, in summary, the field (stator) magnets are attached to the inside of the casing, as in my photo, and the field WINDINGS are inside the armature stack. Correct? Both would be electromagnets then I assume since both are supplied with power? 🧲

Bushings are a type of bearing. ✔

Brushes are made of carbon and pass electricity to the commutator. ✔

The wear marks on the field stator magnets (in the photo) are not typical and probably caused by bearing (sorry, bushing) run out.

THANK YOU EVERYONE! I'll probably go to my starter rebuild shop and let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
A bushing is just a type of bearing, but I suppose I should say bushing, since it's more descriptive...
The kit I received had a bushing for the end cap as well as one for the other end, where the gear shaft runs through. That is the one I replaced, leaving the end cap bushing in as I could tell it was too small... and I wasn't sure how to pull it, if I'm honest (I think I can figure that out tho!) 😂 Still, if you know a trick, I'm all ears...er, eyes!

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I did enjoy a spiked eggnog this evening so I can blame this comment on that. I thought carbureted CX starters had permanent magnets and only the Turbos used electromagnetic stators? And that was why T starters are unpopular? That pic looks like a T starter to me. 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,456 Posts
Every CX/GL starter I've had apart has had coils in the shell.
The only variation I've noticed is the shell color.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I am probably thinking of the more recent snowmobile starters I’ve been working on this winter. Mid 1980s Yamaha Phazers. And eggnog! But I’m going to take one apart today to convince myself! And for the fun of it.

Reactions: CXPHREAK

·
Registered
365 Posts

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I have refreshed my faulty memory of these starters by disassembling two stuck units. 😄👍. Finding great brushes and commutators in both, they will be “zero cash in” restored starters when reassembled. 😉

21 - 33 of 33 Posts