Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. So I just placed a sporty exhaust on my CX500C. What a great difference! Now I'm thinking I'd love to turn this into an undertail mount. So, , ,

How do I go about getting custom bent pipes and/or any hints/tips on undertail placement?

Thanks,

Scrap

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
Talk to an exhaust shop that bends up their own stuff. Draw a simple picture and maybe they can give you a quote.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking of using some flexible hose that approximates the diameter of exhaust pipe, then bending it to how I need it. Was wondering if there was some sort of quick solidifying gel I could put in there to maintain the shape and take to a shop? Unfortunately I don't think JELLO would work

Any ideas on approximate cost?

Thoughts about wheel travel and space concerns? It looks like I should be fine, however hitting that first pothole is NOT the way to test something!

Also thinking about routing the 2 - 1 pipe up by the air Pods. Would this be too much warm air? If so, do you think tape would help enough?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I was thinking of using some flexible hose that approximates the diameter of exhaust pipe, then bending it to how I need it. Was wondering if there was some sort of quick solidifying gel I could put in there to maintain the shape and take to a shop? Unfortunately I don't think JELLO would work

Thoughts about wheel travel and space concerns? It looks like I should be fine, however hitting that first pothole is NOT the way to test something!

Also thinking about routing the 2 - 1 pipe up by the air Pods. Would this be too much warm air? If so, do you think tape would help enough?
Just a thought, you might try the mock up using 11/2" pvc or abs pipe. Get a straight length and a few 90degree sweeps to cut up for bends. I don't think you would be able to glue the butt joints but a wrap of good old duct tape on each joint should do it. All cheap stuff.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a thought, you might try the mock up using 11/2" pvc or abs pipe. Get a straight length and a few 90degree sweeps to cut up for bends. I don't think you would be able to glue the butt joints but a wrap of good old duct tape on each joint should do it. All cheap stuff.
Good thinking. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whose bike was it that had an undertail setup? I remember seeing pics of it in the original Post Your Ride thread, I'll have to go back and check when I've got more time.

EDIT: found the thread, page 7 has Eurovee's bike, page 11 has the one I was thinking of.

http://choppercharle...5/ShowPost.aspx
Great find! I'll contact Euro for some tips. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Local muffler shops will custom bend pipes for you, but it's hard to get a good seal, even using Permatex exhaust sealer.

Found this bike on the chopper charles forum:
That is very close to the look I'm going for. Looks like this builder used exhaust pipes and tips, no exhaust. Thanks!

·
Registered
192 Posts

GGo to any bike performance shop and do a bit of dumster diving. They throw stock systems away. Cut the system up and use the bends by welding them together. Cost, just the price of welding rod

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.