Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I use Dawn dish soap, works good for me and it won't attack the aluminum like some caustic cleaners can.

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,455 Posts
I've used regular Simple Green, but after repeated cleanings, it will discolor the aluminum. The purple version is supposed to be a little easier on the material.
I have some citrus based degreaser that I might try. A better option might be to use that in the parts cleaner, and run dish soap in the ultrasonic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I usually use some stuff I get from my ship called Enviromate 2000. If you've got access to a Drew Chemical dealer/distributor. Only issues is it comes in 5 gallon cans and needs to be cut down to 1 Enviromate to 4 water. I've been able to filter it through either a used couple of facemasks or folded paper towel and re-use it several times (as the Drew propaganda allows this).

Harbor Freight has a powder you can mix with water that seems to work ok. Runs about 7 dollars.

The one and only time I used dish soap I ended up with a massive mess of bubbles so I don't recommend that as an option.

·
Super Moderator
24,002 Posts
I only use dish soap. About the same sized squirt you'd use to do your dishes but in only 3 or 6 liters of water {machines capacities}

Might be a brand or amount thing but I don't get bubbles - or blackening.

Citrus cleaner too can cause blackening,

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
I only use dish soap. About the same sized squirt you'd use to do your dishes but in only 3 liters of water {machine capacity}

Might be a brand or amount thing but I don't get bubbles - or blackening.

Citrus cleaner too can cause blackening,
The issue might b that people overuse dish soap for their dishes.. you only need a few drops.. the extra suds dont clean....
Maybe we need mls per tub recommendations??
Technically 1 drop is 0.05ml....yeah 20drops=1ml.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I've tried numerous solutions, with my current favorite being Berryman's B12 carb cleaner with water. . Even though B12 is insoluble in water, the ultrasonic vibrations do seem to distribute it throughout the carb.

I haven't tried the purple Simple Green, but can testify that the regular SG will cause discoloration depending on strength and number of cycles.
Here's an example from a GL1100. The carb is discolored, the plenum is not.
Gas Machine Auto part Engineering Metal

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I take a gallon milk jug and fill it with as hot tap water as i can get (gives the process a jump start instead of trying to get up to temp with the heater only), put a squirt or 2 of Dawn in the jug, fill the unit and off to the races. Does a great job, cleans out old gas varnish and everything. No danger of discoloring the aluminum either. I've used it on the master cylinder, brake calipers, etc. It's my go to for anything that will fit in the unit. I've never had a "bubble issue" before?

Reactions: CXPHREAK

·
Registered
15 Posts
This Simple Green Aircraft works amazing in the ultrasonic.

Warning, it has mix limits and can be dangerous to your material if you mix wrong.

I forgot to take before pics, but the after pics had the carbs on my 1983 GL650 looking showroom fresh.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts