Honda CX 500 Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,040 Posts
I've got a good citrus-based degreaser that I intend to try next time.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Do you think citrus could be corrosive to aluminum? IDK, just asking.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Seems clear enough that CLR isn’t good for aluminum according to CLR.
I recall it being recommended (by who I don’t remember) years ago, because when water evaporates in carbs mineral deposits can be part of the residue and carb cleaners don’t remove mineral deposits. I have used it for that purpose with no detrimental effects, but not lately. The warning indicated it affects the appearance or finish, which may bother some folks more than others.
I will no longer suggest CLR for carb cleaning, but might still use it myself if I suspect mineral deposits are present. Against mfgrs recommendations because THIS IS AMERICA! 😁

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Thats probably where I read it too. It’s coming back to me now. Like many things in life, best in moderation.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,040 Posts
Simple Green will discolor aluminum, too, given long or repeated exposure. I used to clean my carbs every spring, and they are now a dull gray. That's why I'm exploring alternatives.

·
Super Moderator
23,079 Posts
i found that.

But the main reason I went to dishwashing liquid is the horrendous price of simple green in Oz.

Though it has become my favourite household cleaner.

Water alone works as well as many.

·
Registered
CX500 Z 1978 , Rickman Polaris fairing, currently GL500 front, Ignitech etc. subject to change
299 Posts
Thanks all for your experiences and preferences, given the many options that probable means I'll just try whatever is on the shelf first - yes Bob, I have got and will try oldfashioned green soap :) - to clean/wet/ruin a few old and dirty carbs. If I come across good stuff I'll report back here.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
AFAIK Simple Green is just a basic green soap like the ones that used to be common years ago.
yah...like LUX soap years ago....even had a vet recommend using Lux to wash my cat that seemed to like sleeping under the neighbors 1960s oil- leaky Jaguar

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
i found that.

But the main reason I went to dishwashing liquid is the horrendous price of simple green in Oz.

Though it has become my favourite household cleaner.

Water alone works as well as many.
yah there's a theory to start off with water and slowly step up.....
Simple green at Bunnings is overpriced....agreed...

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Once i started using Dawn in the ultrasonic and saw how good it worked I've been using Dawn for parts cleaning some car parts. When you buy new brake rotors and they have anti corrosion goo on them i used to use that nasty brake clean or carb cleaner but now i use dawn and blow off with air hose right away. Works great and better for you and yard...

21 - 32 of 32 Posts