Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've a ultrasonic bath, and I love it. Every nut , bolt , washer, spring or part, as it comes off the bike goes through the bath before anything else .

The carbs have 37 years of grime in nooks and crannies, I don't want to strip them or do anything else just get them clean, can I dump them in the bath and then bolt them back on or will I need to strip them before/after?

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
The accelerator pump will disintegrate in the ultrasonic, everything else should be fine.

·
Registered
289 Posts
should be normally but, accelerator shaft have felt seals which could be ruined- be careful.
I can't tell you anything more , because I don't know

·
Super Moderator
5,155 Posts
Reactions: Adam312

·
Registered
226 Posts
The rubber diaphrams present in the CX carbs are the accel pump and ACV pistons. All are fairly easily removable without breaking apart the whole assembly but unless you have some sort of flush system that constantly cycles fresh cleaner into the ultrasonic and removes dirty cleaner you're just going to dislodge garbage from one part of the carbs and transport it neatly to another part. Make sure you use a mild cleaner. I use Krud Kutter in my ultrasonics which has a very mild cleaning effect but doesn't appear to damage rubber diaphragms, orings, or aluminum at all. Usually at a 1:10 ratio.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The rubber diaphrams present in the CX carbs are the accel pump and ACV pistons. All are fairly easily removable without breaking apart the whole assembly but unless you have some sort of flush system that constantly cycles fresh cleaner into the ultrasonic and removes dirty cleaner you're just going to dislodge garbage from one part of the carbs and transport it neatly to another part. Make sure you use a mild cleaner. I use Krud Kutter in my ultrasonics which has a very mild cleaning effect but doesn't appear to damage rubber diaphragms, orings, or aluminum at all. Usually at a 1:10 ratio.

I normally use just water with a bit of laundry detergent. But as it's just the exterior I'm interested in maybe I'll just use some Gunk and then the steam cleaner...

·
Super Moderator
5,155 Posts
Did you ever get an answer to this? I've been soaking my accelerator cap in alcohol for a week and it still won't let carb cleaner enter from the hole that drains into it from the float bowl.
Try something more aggressive than alcohol. Have you tried boiling water or even diluted vinegar? I used fuel injector cleaner to good effect. Possibly a very short exposure to something like CLR? CX500Gl500 - Correct Carb Cleaning and Idle Jet

·
Registered
13 Posts
Irony of ironies? I pulled it out of the alcohol to try your suggestion and it slipped from my hand on to the concrete floor. For fun I tried pressurized carb cleaner again and it sprayed cleaner through the middle opening in the cap! Yay! Now was it the alcohol for a week or the drop to the floor? hahahaha. Thanks for your suggestion even though I never got to try it!

Eric

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,275 Posts
What kind of alcohol did you use? I find that methyl hydrate (AKA methanol) is pretty good for dissolving varnish in fuel systems but it won't do much for lime deposits or corrosion.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I did use methanol. And you are right, it did nothing for the lime deposits, though I think the impact on the floor dislodged some of them. It's clear, for now. :)

I sure appreciate all the wisdom on this site (and others like it). It's like one huge campfire!

Best wishes to all.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
CLR is supposed to remove lime and calcium, and is otherwise fairly harmless I think.

·
Registered
CX500 Z 1978 , Rickman Polaris fairing, currently GL500 front, Ignitech etc. subject to change
299 Posts
Slightly off topic perhaps, but I recently came across an old carb cleaning document, yes, by Larry. Seems he started out using CLR for at least the copper bits, but later switched to "simple green" 1:4 in the ultrasonic cleaner.

Nice to know, but a bottle of CLR will cost me about 25 Euro (about 30 $US) here if available at all, cannot find Simple Green here. Anyone know of good European equivalents ? Maybe none cause environmental restrictions?

Reactions: bahn88

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I use Dawn dishwashing soap, is that available in your area?

·
Registered
CX500 Z 1978 , Rickman Polaris fairing, currently GL500 front, Ignitech etc. subject to change
299 Posts
I use Dawn dishwashing soap, is that available in your area?
no, but all these dishwashing liquids are fairly mild because the manufacturers think dissolving the hands of the dishwashing person is bad. Tried a few but no really good results. I'd like something a bit more agressive for the ultrasonic or soak/brush methods.

(is that Dawn the origin of you user ID :unsure: ;) ?)

• Haha
Reactions: D-Fresh
1 - 20 of 32 Posts