·
Registered
3,516 Posts
A little too small IMHO.

·
Registered
239 Posts
A little too small IMHO.
Have to agree with that. The Harbor Freight unit is 2.5 liters, will hold both carbs and costs retail $79.95. Print this coupon Harbor Freight 20% off coupon to get 20%, or $16.00, off the retail price. This will bring your total before 'bay shipping or sales tax to within about $10.00 of what the 'bay unit sells for. There are several of us that have this unit and it works well.

·
Super Moderator
2,853 Posts
It's only 2 1/2 inches deep. Not even one carb would fit.

This is the one I have used in the past with great success. And if you go buy a magazine for trucks or cars, in there will be a 20% off coupon that you can add to any sale price at Harbor Freight Tools. Sonic cleaner

Bryan beat me to it, lol

·
Registered
269 Posts
After the 2.5l one from Harbor Freight, I would look for one like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRANSON-3200-UL...293?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa3a39f6d

But then you are looking at $175-$250 for it.

I still want one because it will sink a set of our carbs in it at one time.

and you wont have to rotate them just to get parts under the cleaning fluid.

Still need to rotate a bit to help the cleaning process though.

And it will run longer than 8min at a time too. *grin*

·
Registered
583 Posts
Soaking carbs in pinesol for 48+ hours will yield about the same results as an ultra sonic cleaner will. Save your money.
Better yet, use pinesol in the ultrasonic.

I did a pair of carbs in an hour yesterday and they look new.

·
Registered
670 Posts
The above listed one from Harbor freight is what I own. I waited until it went on sale on their website, then took in the 20% off coupon, got it for $45.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Soaking carbs in pinesol for 48+ hours will yield about the same results as an ultra sonic cleaner will. Save your money.

Not even close, Phil. Try an experiment and you'll see what I mean (I did it with "removes the chrome" carb dip), soak them for as long as you want in Pinesol or whatever until they look all squeaky clean. Then put them in an ultrasonic cleaner and watch the black clouds of crud come out of the passages.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Not even close, Phil. Try an experiment and you'll see what I mean (I did it with "removes the chrome" carb dip), soak them for as long as you want in Pinesol or whatever until they look all squeaky clean. Then put them in an ultrasonic cleaner and watch the black clouds of crud come out of the passages.

I just finished up some cb900f carbs a few weeks ago. Soaked in pinesol, rinsed with hot water, and blew dry with the air compressor. I'm telling you guys, they looked and ran just as good as my carbs that were cleaned with the ultrasonic cleaner.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I saw that, guess Its time for a HB run.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I used the Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner. It works. But you have to keep restarting it, it times out after about 8 minutes. If you don't seperate the carbs they won't fully submerge, you'll have to keep turning them. It does however work at a reasonable price. I used mean green and distilled water.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How important is it to have a heater as part of the unit?

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,458 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Heat helps, but while running any US heats the water without an outside source, albeit more slowly. As for the 8 minute limitation, by the time I finished haggling with the folks at HF, I bought mine for $39.95 + sales tax out the door. Received a discount for buying the model on display and combined that with the 20% coupon. For that kind of money I really don't mind re-starting it a few times.

·
Registered
745 Posts
saw a post a while back, a plastic tub add cleaning solution and strapped to the tub side a an electric hand sander,, who was that,,and did it work,,,thats my kinda ultra sonic cleaner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts