Honda CX 500 Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts
I believe the official name is "air bleed cover." That's what it is, so I'm guessing that's what it's called.

The black banana is probably best, no doubt as to what you're referring to with that one.

Discussion starter · #22 ·
Get a manual and start educating yourself so you can communicate intelligently. If you just "cafe'd" the bike without getting it running in stock form you are asking for diagnostics of problems that were present before you changed lots of things.

In non-stock form the changes you made to make it into a cafe-racer bike could complicate the troubleshooting of the bike by adding more problems on top of the already present problems the bike had.

If the right side is backfiring and misfiring have you checked your spark plug boots to determine what their ohm value is? Have you replaced the spark plugs with resistor plugs? What plugs do you have in the bike? Have you done the spark plug resistor replacement with a brass rod and gone to resistor plugs?

Pull the gas tank and take some pictures of your bike's engine and carb setup.

Are your intake manifolds installed with o-rings in the head to manifold? Were the o-rings new?

Where did you source the o-rings from?

Have you checked for air leaks changing the running of the bike at idle using carb spray or ether?

Do you know how do do that?

What condition was the bike in when you bought it?

What have you done to the bike since you bought it?

How long will the bike run when you start it?

I did everything you just said, someone else cafed it, i rebuilt the carb and cleaned everything completely new plugs, checked for leaks, yes they have O rings yes they are new, from where i dont know

Condition is no rust ANYWHERE 10k miles on it newly installed stator, Which could be the problem i hav eno idea how to check for that, can you time the stator? All the bikes Electricals are backwards out of the stator, so would switching my left and right plug caps have it timed right?

Im a car mechanic im doin the best i can here sheesh

Discussion starter · #23 ·
He's got the download info for the manual. Unfortunately, the bike was evidently (from info garnered from a myriad of other posts) cafe'd by a guy who was rather clueless in the CX realm. Snip, snip, slap on some pods, etc., made it look good and all is OK type of thing.

Too much of this going on if you ask me, (which no one has), I think this will die out like the chopper fad, with some really nice original bikes paying the price. I missed buying a pristine '78 CX with 4500 miles by hours last year. I got the new owners contact info to see if he'd sell.....he'd already started chopping to make a cafe. It's not like they're making any more unmolested ones.

To each his own, I guess.

Dont like the cruiser style, but i like the sound and reliabilty. Hence the Cafe's

But im not downing your all original thing, i have an all original 1966 El Camino.

No worries mate! We're just trying to help:)

The stator really just supplies the juice, as far as I know. Sounds like you have done a lot of work trying to figure this out, and you will probably learn loads of stuff about your bike in the process. Compared to a car your Honda is pure simplicity. I would suggest starting with obvious stuff like a compression test, Vacuum check, CLEAN THE CARBS COMPLETELY!!! ( don't mean to yell but...). If one side is running differently than the other look for what is different , like a difference between the two compression/vacuum readings. There are vacuum ports just before the heads. Check the vacuum port on your right carb to make sure it is either connected to something (like the petcock), or blocked off. Check to make sure the slides are opening at exactly the same time on both carbs when you turn the throttle. All our suggestions are just things we would try, given what we can gather from your description of the problem. No stone left unturned and all that!

Good luck!

Discussion starter · #25 ·
No worries mate! We're just trying to help:)

The stator really just supplies the juice, as far as I know. Sounds like you have done a lot of work trying to figure this out, and you will probably learn loads of stuff about your bike in the process. Compared to a car your Honda is pure simplicity. I would suggest starting with obvious stuff like a compression test, Vacuum check, CLEAN THE CARBS COMPLETELY!!! ( don't mean to yell but...). If one side is running differently than the other look for what is different , like a difference between the two compression/vacuum readings. There are vacuum ports just before the heads. Check the vacuum port on your right carb to make sure it is either connected to something (like the petcock), or blocked off. Check to make sure the slides are opening at exactly the same time on both carbs when you turn the throttle. All our suggestions are just things we would try, given what we can gather from your description of the problem. No stone left unturned and all that!

Good luck!

Everything is working completely properly as far as i can tell i did everything you said already, cleaned and adjusted the carbs FOUR TIMES COMPLETELY. When i Open the throttle it just puts out doesnt raise in RPMS but if i cover teh intake completely it revs all the way to 7k+ in a heart beat.

It wouldnt run at all if the stator wasnt correct or broken would it? what if my timing chain is broken or somehow wrong how can i check for that? All my problems point to BAD TIMING, but how do i time th damn thing?? wheres the adjustments??

Did i say that the Pink and Yellow Wires going to those black cylinders above the pistons are switched? its yellow to pink and pink to yellow. would it hurt anything if i switched those back to yellow yellow, pink pink? i dont want to fry anything.

And thanks if i seem irritated, i just got home from work and ive spent every waking available minute trying to fix my bike. You guys are an AWESOME help.

Would it be Benificial to Take a video of it running (Sorta) so you guys can hear what im talking about?

Everything is working completely properly as far as i can tell i did everything you said already, cleaned and adjusted the carbs FOUR TIMES COMPLETELY. When i Open the throttle it just puts out doesnt raise in RPMS but if i cover teh intake completely it revs all the way to 7k+ in a heart beat.

It wouldnt run at all if the stator wasnt correct or broken would it? what if my timing chain is broken or somehow wrong how can i check for that? All my problems point to BAD TIMING, but how do i time th damn thing?? wheres the adjustments??

Did i say that the Pink and Yellow Wires going to those black cylinders above the pistons are switched? its yellow to pink and pink to yellow. would it hurt anything if i switched those back to yellow yellow, pink pink? i dont want to fry anything.

And thanks if i seem irritated, i just got home from work and ive spent every waking available minute trying to fix my bike. You guys are an AWESOME help.

Would it be Benificial to Take a video of it running (Sorta) so you guys can hear what im talking about?

The pink wire goes to the black thing (coil) on the right side.

That is the right when your sitting on the bike.

This will be your ignition pulse from your CDI.

If it is wrong your bike will not run or it will run like $hit.

"When i Open the throttle it just puts out doesnt raise in RPMS but if i cover teh intake completely it revs all the way to 7k+ in a heart beat. "

This sounds like a carb issue. Not saying it is but that would be my first thing to look for.

Your ignition being backwards might cause this. I understand the bike has spark (very weak) at 180 out of time.

This can also be caused by bad spark plugs, Spark plug caps, Bad coils,... the list goes on.

"It wouldnt run at all if the stator wasnt correct or broken would it?"

If the stator is bad but your battery is good it might still run. I am not sure if your bike is a CDI or TI so it would depend. The stator has two parts on a CDI bike. There is a high voltage winding and the charging winding. The TI bike only has the charging winding. If it is CDI and the high voltage winding is going it will probably not run or not rev above 6K rpm - this is hearsay not personal experience.

"what if my timing chain is broken or somehow wrong how can i check for that?"

If the timing chain was broken you would already be screwed because this is an interference class engine.

It would not run at all.

"All my problems point to BAD TIMING, but how do i time th damn thing?? wheres the adjustments??"

The timing is picked up by pulsers on the flywheel. It is not adjustable (in the common sense of the word). I have heard someone say that it can be Adjusted a couple of degrees but it is not significant enough to learn how to do.

effectively if the timing is out it is because the coils are wired backwards.

yes switch them You will not cook anything. The worst you can do is have fire on the exhaust stroke and it will not run (obviously).

I hope this helps. If not please let us know.

manuals are available for download on the forum. Any of blindstitchs posts have links to resources. And with the pods, you will have to play with different jets to get it to run right. But you should still be able to set the idle mixture. With the motor warm and at idle turn the mixture screws in a bit at a time and when the idle drops start turning the screws out until the idle is the highest rpm. Then set the idle with the idle adjustment knob to 1100 rpm.

I found this to be almost impossible I am doing the "ride it, pull plugs, adjust and repeat it" approach.

I just reread your posts.

You said new stator.

Who installed it and are you sure it is the right kind of stator? I ask because your tag line says it is a 1978 cx500 which means it is a CDI I believe. If it is a CDI you need to do as this page tells you:

http://globalcxglvtwins.hostingdelivered.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=521

I am not sure if it will run at all if you have the wrong stator in it.

You said you have spark? Is it a pretty blue or is it a nasty orange?

Discussion starter · #29 ·
I just reread your posts.

You said new stator.

Who installed it and are you sure it is the right kind of stator? I ask because your tag line says it is a 1978 cx500 which means it is a CDI I believe. If it is a CDI you need to do as this page tells you:

http://globalcxglvtwins.hostingdelivered.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=521

I am not sure if it will run at all if you have the wrong stator in it.

You said you have spark? Is it a pretty blue or is it a nasty orange?

It runs like its firing at the wrong time i know i have carb problems.

the guy before me put it in.

and its a pretty blue spark

It runs like its firing at the wrong time i know i have carb problems.

the guy before me put it in.

and its a pretty blue spark

Did you even read my other posts to you?

Can you address the things I spelled out in them?

You say the bike has individual air filters, therefore my question to you is; what are the Carburetors jetted at? Stitch says 120/90 for pic filters and stock is 112/78. The other simple mistake a newbe can make it to reverse the position of the jets. The big one (numerically either the 112 stock or the 120 if it's been re-jetted) goes in the brass tube. They will fit in the wrong position so check that. Then make sure you verify the numbers on the jets. Does is run better with the choke on? If so the jets are probably too small?

Cheers, 50gary

I think all the theories have merrit but didn't note anyone mentioning doing a compression test. I would do that before messing around too much. I believe both cylinders should be within 10 or 15 psi of each other. Just my 2 cents. Good luck and will watch for the final verdic.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.