Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I suggest installing a new set of plugs, and then monitor them for color. There is a mixture setting procedure in the manual. Do you have the stock airbox/filter setup or have you gone pods on your bike?

I dont have a manual and i do have pods but i plug them up with tape for now to get it started

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
assuming you have the H-box, that means nothing. Feel the head pipe, well, feel NEAR the headpipe after it's been running for a few minutes and you should know if both are firing or not. I could see the left only firing, and the right still getting warm due to the engine block warming up, but the head pipe should be nearly the same temp no matter what if both are firing

This is just a somewhat educated guess, I'm no scientist or a true mechanic, but I have logic and turn wrenches lol, so I just guess things most of the time

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
assuming you have the H-box, that means nothing. Feel the head pipe, well, feel NEAR the headpipe after it's been running for a few minutes and you should know if both are firing or not. I could see the left only firing, and the right still getting warm due to the engine block warming up, but the head pipe should be nearly the same temp no matter what if both are firing

This is just a somewhat educated guess, I'm no scientist or a true mechanic, but I have logic and turn wrenches lol, so I just guess things most of the time

Right cyl is fireing and getting spark and all that, but it backfires and misfires. and im trying to get my angine to run for a few minutes, thts the problem here =]

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I dont have a manual and i do have pods but i plug them up with tape for now to get it started

manuals are available for download on the forum. Any of blindstitchs posts have links to resources. And with the pods, you will have to play with different jets to get it to run right. But you should still be able to set the idle mixture. With the motor warm and at idle turn the mixture screws in a bit at a time and when the idle drops start turning the screws out until the idle is the highest rpm. Then set the idle with the idle adjustment knob to 1100 rpm.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I'd swap the coils, you have to put the coils on the opposite side, and swap the wiring, otherwise you'll be firing at the wrong timing, so the bike probably wouldn't fire at all, if it does run, it'll run like HELL. Have you done your carbs at all?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd swap the coils, you have to put the coils on the opposite side, and swap the wiring, otherwise you'll be firing at the wrong timing, so the bike probably wouldn't fire at all, if it does run, it'll run like HELL. Have you done your carbs at all?

The Coils are the 2 black cylinders above the 2 pistons right? an electrical part?

·
Registered
999 Posts
Get a manual and start educating yourself so you can communicate intelligently. If you just "cafe'd" the bike without getting it running in stock form you are asking for diagnostics of problems that were present before you changed lots of things.

In non-stock form the changes you made to make it into a cafe-racer bike could complicate the troubleshooting of the bike by adding more problems on top of the already present problems the bike had.

If the right side is backfiring and misfiring have you checked your spark plug boots to determine what their ohm value is? Have you replaced the spark plugs with resistor plugs? What plugs do you have in the bike? Have you done the spark plug resistor replacement with a brass rod and gone to resistor plugs?

Pull the gas tank and take some pictures of your bike's engine and carb setup.

Are your intake manifolds installed with o-rings in the head to manifold? Were the o-rings new?

Where did you source the o-rings from?

Have you checked for air leaks changing the running of the bike at idle using carb spray or ether?

Do you know how do do that?

What condition was the bike in when you bought it?

What have you done to the bike since you bought it?

How long will the bike run when you start it?

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
He's got the download info for the manual. Unfortunately, the bike was evidently (from info garnered from a myriad of other posts) cafe'd by a guy who was rather clueless in the CX realm. Snip, snip, slap on some pods, etc., made it look good and all is OK type of thing.

Too much of this going on if you ask me, (which no one has), I think this will die out like the chopper fad, with some really nice original bikes paying the price. I missed buying a pristine '78 CX with 4500 miles by hours last year. I got the new owners contact info to see if he'd sell.....he'd already started chopping to make a cafe. It's not like they're making any more unmolested ones.

To each his own, I guess.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
The Coils are the 2 black cylinders above the 2 pistons right? an electrical part?
That's correct, one may not be sending enough of a spark, so I'd take and unplug them, swap sides, and swap wiring. If one is getting a weak spark, that might do it, I'd suggest doing the brass rod conversion on both of them if it hasn't been done, might help to, it won't hurt, I know that much.

From what I've learned here, most of our issues are carbs or electrical issues, although if it has pods that'll mess things up too

·
Registered
8,422 Posts

·
Registered
3,530 Posts

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Obviously the voice of experience.

Ho yes Cob.

Twas way back in 04' a short time after getting my 1st CX on the road I took apart the carbs.Cleaned them and them put them back on,still not as good as I would like.I then wondered about what was under the Black thing in the tops so stripped them again.It was then that I started researching these,"New Fangled" CV carbs only ever having done Monobloc slide types before like old ,"Amals" and,"Webbers".

When I started posting about the importance of cleaning underneath this thing and the slow speed idle circuit I came up with the,"Black Banana" as it was easier to type and for people to remember.

I still don't know what it's official name is?

·
Registered
948 Posts
When I started posting about the importance of cleaning underneath this thing and the slow speed idle circuit I came up with the,"Black Banana" as it was easier to type and for people to remember.

I still don't know what it's official name is?

The Black Plantain

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.