Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And what do I need to do to fix it. I rode about 5 miles and it surges a lot. Open to suggestions. Thanx!!!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
And what do I need to do to fix it. I rode about 5 miles and it surges a lot. Open to suggestions. Thanx!!!
dont panic m8.you probably have water in and/around your electrics.that causes a short to earth.its only temporary.so dont worry.if its not too bad,where its dangerous,id just keep riding,do 30 miles and itl be gone.

if it makes you nervous,park it up in the sun,let it dry out

·
Registered
117 Posts
You saying it's nice enough out where you live to wash your bike??

I'm so damn envious of you

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
You saying it's nice enough out where you live to wash your bike??

I'm so damn envious of you
Stones,ill bet he had his gloves on while he washed his bike.lol

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stones,ill bet he had his gloves on while he washed his bike.lol
Actually it's been quite nice today, about 70 and yesterday was 78. Nice to get a few miles in in February!!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Actually it's been quite nice today, about 70 and yesterday was 78. Nice to get a few miles in in February!!
sweet,iv already checked your weather
.....i know how it feels.its a great feeling riding 12 months of the year.enjoy my friend,dont know about you,but the month of august kills me.i put the bike away at 1.00pm

·
Registered
835 Posts
Check your spark plug wires/caps. Sometimes a bit of a wipe with a cloth is enough to dislodge them.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
If water is collecting in the spark plug main hole and not the threaded hole take an air hose and blow out the hole on both jugs so the water drains.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
It's been nice here in Missouri for a week now....I rode all week and washed the bike today. I try to be careful when I'm washing to not spray with any pressure any higher than the side of the engine so as not to get any electrics wet. The higher up on the bike like the valve covers, tank etc the less dirtier it gets and it can be wiped down with a spray bottle and rag...this way you never get water into controls or under the plug boot etc.

If you have a leaf blower, using it to blow the bike off after washing gets all the water off and out of the nooks and crannies if you keep it waxed and polished....this way you don't have nasty water spots

Thank you for taking "Bike Washing 101"....credits may transfer to other forums

·
Registered
377 Posts
My bike stopped running when I washed it once as well, turned out my spark plug caps needed to be rebuilt, the one side's resistor had turned to dust, the water must have just aggravated the condition of it. take them apart and check, they are easy to fix.

Mike

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My bike stopped running when I washed it once as well, turned out my spark plug caps needed to be rebuilt, the one side's resistor had turned to dust, the water must have just aggravated the condition of it. take them apart and check, they are easy to fix.

Mike
OK Any write up or instructions on how to do this?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I'll agree, water got down in the plug holes. Their are replacements for this problem, inexpensive.

Get rid of the resistors, plenty of instructions around here as to how to do that.

Call Matt @ http://www.tasmotorsports.com/ and explain the problem. Free shipping on small items. I'd suggest the upper seals on the valve cover gaskets as a start, keeps the water out.

Guess it was time. Just get the parts and replace them, piece of cake. Probably cost you $2 for the upper gasket seals.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Very Kool!!!! I'll give that a shot!!! Thanx. Man I love this forum!!!!

I work with commercial wiring and I had a spool of heavy gauge solid copper wire, stuff is almost worth its weight in gold nowadays, but its the same diameter as the resistance piece, I think if you head to a hardware store, Lowes, Home Depot or an electrical supplier they will cut you off a foot for a dollar or two.

Follow the directions from those links.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I work with commercial wiring and I had a spool of heavy gauge solid copper wire, stuff is almost worth its weight in gold nowadays, but its the same diameter as the resistance piece, I think if you head to a hardware store, Lowes, Home Depot or an electrical supplier they will cut you off a foot for a dollar or two.

Follow the directions from those links.

If you use copper or any other reactive metal use some noalox conductive grease or other to prevent metal to metal reactions.

If you do not you might open it up later to find a ton of corrosion.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Take HV wire as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts