Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my drunken state this Halloween weekend, I managed to lose my one (and only) key..

The worst part is, I was putting off going to get a copy made until I could have a friend do it when I went home in 7 days. Bollocks.

So, right now I have my wireless ignition module in which is great for starting and riding, but I just switched over to Reserve on the GL's tank, and surprise...I can't get my tank open.

The keys for these bikes are pretty simple and I've looked at that key long enough that I may actually be able to reproduce it from memory, or at least get it close enough, but if that doesn't work out, I'm thinking about drilling out the divets on the outer cover of the lock cylinder to get to the pin and tumbler mechanism and make a key from there from a blank. The local locksmith wants to charge me $125 to make me a new key...I didn't buy my bike for $250 (!! yes! 3rd CX/GL and counting..) to go spend another $125 when there's a chance I might find my key later this week when I retrace my steps.

Plus I really only need it for my gas tank, which I can tell is a bit worn anyways, although the chrome is in nice shape...the locking mechanism isn't all that exact.

Any obvious suggestions I am overlooking...or does anyone have any experience getting the lock cylinder open for key duplication?

BTW if any of this sounds like I loaded this bike up in a truck and carted it off...not so, it's mine!! I just have to upload a picture and you'll be able to figure out that no one would steal this bike...orange engine and blue metal flake rims (kinda grown on me since I bought it 3 or 4 months ago...)

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
get in touch with kilroy he is your man to help you out

and you might try to put any type of key in the lock and have a go report your findings back here when your done

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,106 Posts
Unless they've been mismatched, the key should be the same as for the luggage/helmet locks. You may be able to see the key code there. Take that code to a Honda dealer, and they should be able to cut the correct key for you.

Otherwise, the CX500 Deluxe (not the Standard) has a wire clip that functions as the strike for the gas cap lock. It can be extracted from under the edge of the cap cover using a flat tool. I don't know if there's something similar on the Silverwing, but I'd take a close look before you drill.

R

EDIT: I just checked the parts fiche, and it appears that the GL's lock is in the fuel cap itself. Your best option is to find that code.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I think the gas caps use fewer pins than the ignition switch, hence simpler to pick. I would try to unlock it with a bent dentist pick or something similiar, keeping a little rotation force on the key slot with a medium slotted screwdriver tip. I'm thinking in a few minutes you may get it to release without damage. Or this might be wishful thinking, but since the GL gas caps lock when downward pressure is applied to the cap, compressing an internal spring, maybe MAYBE, just depressing the cap will allow anything ( a flat screwdriver) to turn the tumbler. Probably not, but worth a try. The early CXs would open with about anything that would enter the key slot, so Honda had a history of not putting very much security into the gas cap. Getting a new key from the code is the best option, that would be a great time to get . . . two.

And you have looked in the places where the PO might have hidden a spare? Inside (behind)the fairing signal lights, under or around the side covers and battery? Taped somewhere, or hanging on a little wire loop?
I'm sure you have tried any other Honda keys you might have too, right?

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,106 Posts
The early CXs would open with about anything that would enter the key slot, so Honda had a history of not putting very much security into the gas cap.
The Standard's cap cover doesn't have a lock, just a latch. There are not tumblers in the cylinder. The Deluxe got an actual lock (which is why the tanks are slightly different, despite appearances.)

R

·
Registered
397 Posts
Have a look in the air cleaner. Almost everybody I know carries a spare key stuck into the air cleaner housing. I even keep a spare key for my pickup in the air cleaner housing, and have a wire that I can reach from under the bumper to open the hood latch. When I bought my GL650 I thought that I only got one key. When I checked the air filter I found the POs spare key.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
sweet now we all know were doral keeps his spares.........that way i can borrow his bike and return it later........j/k to be honest doral i would edit your post and just say that you keep a spare on your bike

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
I have a spare key on my bike too. It's not in the airbox. I thought someone had this problem before and it was solved by trying to pick the lock in a sweeping motion.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Get a couple of feet of small vacuum hose (usually closer to our fuel hose size) from any auto parts store. Pull the hose going to the carb, put the hose on there and the other end on some sort of home-made funnel gizmo. If you hold it high enough in the air you can open the petcock and fill your tank in reverse so to speak.

As to the key try any and every key that will fit in there, you might be surprised.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Get a couple of feet of small vacuum hose (usually closer to our fuel hose size) from any auto parts store. Pull the hose going to the carb, put the hose on there and the other end on some sort of home-made funnel gizmo. If you hold it high enough in the air you can open the petcock and fill your tank in reverse so to speak.

As to the key try any and every key that will fit in there, you might be surprised.

Since you're not using it at the moment drop out the ignition switch if you can. There are 6 digits on it that tell you what key you need. Some locksmiths should be able to do the job for $20. But otherwise get a hold of Kilroy and maybe he can send a new one faster. Because you're close it shouldn't take long to get it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
sweet now we all know were doral keeps his spares.........that way i can borrow his bike and return it later........j/k to be honest doral i would edit your post and just say that you keep a spare on your bike

I don't feel too worried about everyone on this forum knowing where my spare key is. There are no thieves here. Besides, when the bike is at home it's locked up in the quonset. I only ride it for pleasure which means that from the time I leave home until I get back I'm never more than 2 feet away from it. My rides are fairly short, like less than 100 miles round trip.Various parts of my ancient body would even prefer shorter excursions. I live in the country and ride in the country, so I don't have to worry about somebody stealing it out from under me at a stop light. I don't use it to "go someplace" where have to park it and leave it. That's one of the advantages in being an old coot.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
my old stealing days are way behind me only thing i would ask if i am ever up that way in the great white north if i could ride your gl (but i kinda doubt that i will ever be up that way i cant leave the usa.....)

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
If the problem is stealing then any idiot can do that by running a hot wire (preferable with a fuse in between) to the fusebox. Of course in this case you only get as far as the gas lasts.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
If the problem is stealing then any idiot can do that by running a hot wire (preferable with a fuse in between) to the fusebox. Of course in this case you only get as far as the gas lasts.

well that is true unless the bars are locked and then all it takes is a very hard pull to the right and it breaks the arm off the switch.....(i had to do it once)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't feel too worried about everyone on this forum knowing where my spare key is. There are no thieves here. Besides, when the bike is at home it's locked up in the quonset. I only ride it for pleasure which means that from the time I leave home until I get back I'm never more than 2 feet away from it. My rides are fairly short, like less than 100 miles round trip.Various parts of my ancient body would even prefer shorter excursions. I live in the country and ride in the country, so I don't have to worry about somebody stealing it out from under me at a stop light. I don't use it to "go someplace" where have to park it and leave it. That's one of the advantages in being an old coot.

One of the reasons I love this forum...no hot shots ride a CX or a GL...and no one wants to steal my 30 year old war machine!

Update on the key issue:

I've given up on a spare, or my key, and the local smith is unreasonable. I'm just going to salvage my key set from the box of parts I have back at home when I go back in a few days to visit.

I got curious and decided to mess around, and see exactly what it took to get into the gas tank in case anybody runs across this post in the future:

1. Lock pick set. I actually have a picking set, which is technically illegal, but through the wonders of black magic I have acquired one. Took me about 30 seconds to pop the tank piece open.

2. Pressing down to release the spring didn't seem to do anything when I tried to gently turn it with a flathead screwdriver.

3. A big wide screwdriver gave surprising amounts of resistance for such a flimsy lock.

4. A thinner smaller screwdriver was wiggled side to side...the lock popped right open.

Now, on to my lock cylinder.

1. I literally just wrote how there was no six digit code on mine before glancing down at it turned sideways on my desk with a six digit code staring me in the face.

2. Making a new key is unnecessary...although I have heard good things about Kilroy ever since I bought my first CX 2 years ago..

3. Lock pick set is fairly ineffective against the lock cylinder. Surprisingly hard to pick (the tumbler springs are crazy strong on mine, even after all these years)

4. Smaller thinner screwdriver gets down farther, but feels a little weak when I try to turn it...

5. A bigger flat head screwdriver eventually makes the lock cylinder "give" right one click to the accessory position. Now the lock cylinder will click to ACC and OFF with a screwdriver but no further in either direction.. Key hole flap is still functional, but the key guide (?) is looking a little torn up

6. Further twisting efforts are rather difficult and haven't gone too well. I'm determined to break her though.

Cheers,

Justin

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
sweet thanks man and the same goes for you with my cx

you might have to meet me in montana or some place close to canada unless you ever come down this way.........

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.