Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody. I have gone through a lot of effort and time and got my 81 GL500i rebuild project at the point where i can take it out on the road to test issues. I have arrived at a couple of ugly problems that have my bike making ugly noises.
1) my bike pulls strong, like its supposed to, from idle to about 4,000 rpm. Then the power seems to die out and leave me with a popping and crackling engine that will carry to 7,000 when I shift. (rpm is my speed judgment since I have no speedo.) It repeats this all the way up to 3rd, where it just stops pulling and acts like its topped out in 5th.
I'm relatively certain its my filter but I've cleaned and cleaned (4x) it out. Is there anything inside the box itself like a secondary filter that could be plughed? Or should I just buy a new filter ($18 where I'm at)
2) when it's still a little cold, it pops and crackles at 4,000 and I haven't pushed it past that point until I've had it around the yard enough times where its warm enough to ride. Could it be timing, the filter, or just a cold bike thing I'll have to learn to deal with (every good bike has her quirks)

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
5,340 Posts
The bike is a GL500, should not have CDI. Did you try running without the air filter? Do you have an in line fuel filter?

Add your bike to your signature line so those trying to help will know what you have. Location helps too.

·
Registered
24,495 Posts
oops had to many threads open

check your charging system and battery voltage

low or very high voltage can cause weird missfiring problems

there is s a screen in the filter box make sure it is not plugged with grease and residue

it is right in front of the intake ports make sure you can see thru it with a light

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really do hope that it isn't the stator. I've not had a multimeter to the stator but I will upon getting back home from holiday traveling. I'll also check the filter in the box and I just ordered an air filter like 30 seconds ago hoping that will solve the issue. Also @reclinedrelic it has a TI system (very thankful for) and as far as running it without an air filter, the throttle response goes down the drain without it, and yes, I do run a fuel filter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts