Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the manual says there is supposed to be a circlip that I have to remove before I can pull the oil seal out. I cannot for the life of me see it.

My manual is also of no help whatsoever. Doesnt even show a picture of the clip.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
hey dave did you take the photos and if so i would like to ask a question on my 82 custom i have the cross over airline but i was only able to get one side off how did you get both off?? if i would of been able to take it off it would of been a lot easier for me......so advise that way when i go and put the fork oil in (instead of the atf that i had on hand) it will be easier

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got the circlip out, but cant get the slider off. Ive pulled as hard as I can manage.

Anything that will help it off.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
yea push it in and then pull it out kinda like a slide hammer it will pull the seal out thats whats holding up unless you didnt get the washer out and then its slipping into the grove of the c clip

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That washer in image 77 of daves link? Got that.

Any reason not to spray PB Blaster down the hole? I really cannot get it to budge.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
you could give it a try i am not to sure it would work though have you taken the springs out?

hey if you want to call me you can 928 692 four 2 one 9 and i will walk you through it

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I decided to call it quits for the night. I wouldn't have enough time to get them together anyways, and Id like to get some guitar playing in before my neighbors go to bed.

Sadly this means it'll probably sit till tuesday.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
alright buddy just let me know if you want to call i am always home........(stay at home dad aka mr mom) because i would be glad to help you out

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
hey dave did you take the photos and if so i would like to ask a question on my 82 custom i have the cross over airline but i was only able to get one side off how did you get both off?? if i would of been able to take it off it would of been a lot easier for me......so advise that way when i go and put the fork oil in (instead of the atf that i had on hand) it will be easier
Yes, I took the photos.

The crossover air hose can be removed from both sides. One side has a fitting that screws into the cap, and the hose then screws into this fitting. Disconnect the hose on this side first. On the other side the hose screws directly into the cap. If I recall correctly, three wrenches are needed for the GL500 - 10mm, 12mm, and 14mm.

AC, the slide hammer action usually works with no problem, although it may take a few blows. You have removed the allen screw at the bottom of the fork, correct? This must be done first. The Honda GL500 factory service manual describes the procedure fairly well - make sure you have read it in advance.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
i was only able to get the side off that has the air valve on it aka the right fork (sitting on bike) no matter what i tried i couldnt get the other side loose

and i didnt even think about asking AC if he pulled the allen bolts out i already assumed he did but if he didnt he needs to hopefully he will chime back in tonight and let us all know

·
Registered
50 Posts
So the manual says there is supposed to be a circlip that I have to remove before I can pull the oil seal out. I cannot for the life of me see it.

My manual is also of no help whatsoever. Doesnt even show a picture of the clip.

AC

As noted above, yank like hell. Expect the upper bushing to come out. that's the cause of the forces involved.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
my friend - may be what you need - an additional person (or 2 or 3) to help separate the pieces provided you're darn sure there isn't an errant second washer accidentally installed by a PO.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
my friend - may be what you need - an additional person (or 2 or 3) to help separate the pieces provided you're darn sure there isn't an errant second washer accidentally installed by a PO.

i agree with marshallf3 another set of hands and eyes could never hurt....i hate to think that your bike will be down for a while....

·
Registered
546 Posts
i agree with marshallf3 another set of hands and eyes could never hurt....i hate to think that your bike will be down for a while....

What you hear moving around is the rebound damper which becomes free when the bottom allen bolt is out.

Here is a better picture of all the pieces (GL650 fork)

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh my bikes down for a while anyways. This is just one part of Nlong saga of projects. It's currently a frame and an engine on my porch. My goal is to be riding by Christmas.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts