Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Change it occasionally and you will be fine with most any decent oil in the specified range.
I have my preferences and so do most others.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Change it occasionally and you will be fine with most any decent oil in the specified range.
I have my preferences and so do most others.
Well this is my first time ever working on a motorcycle.. was sitting for over 20 years in my parents garage... Didn't run when I got it.. now it does... Needs a oil change just didn't know what type of oil to use... I got regular 10w40 from Napa... Just wanted to double check before I mess anything up..

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Our bikes have a wet clutch. Same oil, for motor and trans. Do some research, and learn why it makes a difference.
I use Rotella Diesel 15W-40, also. I noticed a difference, after recent oil change. I've only had my GL500I, for about a year. So, have no idea what PO was using. Or, how long since last change.

EJ

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
You will be fine with what you bought.
There is a lot to learn about oil if you want to look it up on the WIKI, however.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Seriously Slane, do a search. I am sure your oil is fine. But some of the discussions from the past can be pretty amusing.

·
Super Moderator
3,258 Posts
Some modern oil - regular, semi-synth or synthetic - contains friction modifiers which will wreck your wet clutch. I stick to oils that show a JASO MA rating, indicating that they're wet-clutch compatible. Around here at least there's a selection of JASO MA rated oils amongst the mineral, semi- and full-synth.

Plenty of non-JASO MA rated oils will work just fine (not everyone bothers to get that rating verified), but not all will. For what it's worth I stick to full synthetic 10w40 (suitable for my climate), as it works in the other bikes I work on too.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Only energy conserving oils have friction modifiers and they're all going to be light weight oils.

I use Mobil 1 15-50 in just about everything....bikes, buggies, lawn mowers, windmill gearboxes...except my Ford Expedition.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well this is my first time ever working on a motorcycle.. was sitting for over 20 years in my parents garage... Didn't run when I got it.. now it does... Needs a oil change just didn't know what type of oil to use... I got regular 10w40 from Napa... Just wanted to double check before I mess anything up..
The worst you can do is run the bike with NO oil, how ever I use 10w.40 Valvoline 4 stroke for Motorcycles semi synthetic, the reason is that if we use full synthetic the clutch may slip as this stuff is too slippery for the wet clutch.
I hope this is helpful in your decision making. Cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts