Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
So how easy are they to get running.
The CBX also listed for instance as "not running".
Is a full tear down and reassembly needed?....do we know if these have these been stripped and reassembled by students?.

Is your thinking that these bikes will be negligible wear spares supply or a bike to resurrect?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The real problem is that they do not have a title and the Honda Motor Company never intended that the school bikes ever got one the road. They were supposed to be scrapped after they no longer served their scholarly purposes

Reactions: jan1092

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,417 Posts
I thought the school bikes lacked serial numbers. The table you posted shows serial numbers and says "no title restrictions."

·
Registered
114 Posts
from the Gov Deals website:

Q: These school bikes do not have a title document ,My question is ,Do I need this document to import this bike into my country New Zealand & register this bike on the roads here or is a bill of sale ,All thats required ,Thanks (6/8/21 2:39 PM)

A: These have titles. (6/9/21 9:35 AM)

·
Registered
1982 GL500 81 BMW R100 2010 HD E-GLIDE
614 Posts
I thought the school bikes lacked serial numbers. The table you posted shows serial numbers and says "no title restrictions."
R, One of my friends had 500 & 650-Hd serials thought it appeared they just pulled them off assembly line.

·
Registered
614 Posts
from the Gov Deals website:

Q: These school bikes do not have a title document ,My question is ,Do I need this document to import this bike into my country New Zealand & register this bike on the roads here or is a bill of sale ,All thats required ,Thanks (6/8/21 2:39 PM)

A: These have titles. (6/9/21 9:35 AM)
Before you do anything else go to local officials & get verified info? Tell them what you have & ask for procedure to complete. All in writing.
Paul

·
Registered
66 Posts
The real problem is that they do not have a title and the Honda Motor Company never intended that the school bikes ever got one the road. They were supposed to be scrapped after they no longer served their scholarly purposes
Looking at the advert- it looks as bikes do have the Title ,
I was told once that in some states it's easy to get title on old vehicle.as long as there is bill of sale or proof of ownership but our US .embers will know better .
You are Absolutely right that the Honda deal with school was as you said - but after 37 years no one seems to remember about and paper got lost as there was no computer data base back then ,but there was several deals in the past falling through because of the worry about it to be school bike and how it will ship out of US ?!
It would be interesting if someone would need to ask for the letter to proof the date of production MSO -what honda would say - I had to get one for different bike from 80s .
Thx

·
Registered
114 Posts
So, where these bikes at the school for almost 40 years? I can't imagine that they would be used (or useful for) much, especially at the pace of technology in the last 10 years.

Is it possible that these were supplied sometime after the 83 model year?, such as "hey, here is some we don't need anymore", said facory rep?

Also, what kind of mechanical condition would these be in? How many times has the plastic been removed? What threads have been "mangled"? Or parts that haven't been reinstalled "factory correct?"

Just my musings....hmmm, I'm also thinking along the same lines as bahn in previous post.

Reactions: bahn88

·
Registered
832 Posts
Every school bike I've seen has a VIN tag. They supposedly have no Manufacturer Statement of Origin (MSO), and without that, the VIN is useless. I'm sure after 40 years, a few people have found gray area ways to get titles.

Condition? Uh...it's going to vary from bike to bike, school to school and instructor to instructor. Some were thrown in storage and are virtually brand new. Others have been torn apart and put back together a million times. I'm not sure how things are in other parts of the world, but around here, there's nothing uncommon over a school or business keeping old equipment, parts and tools stuck in storage for decades.

As far as a learning aid, I doubt there was any vehicle made in 1982 that was more technologically advanced than a 500 Turbo. My Porsche 928 was one of the most advanced cars in the world and was built the same year as my 500T...the electronics in the 928 are laughable compared to the 500T. That technology was relevant up to OBD2 for CARS. As far as motorcycles go, they could have been using those 650s up until about 10 years ago. Hell, carburetors were still common into the late 2000s. Can you slap a turbo on a new bike and expect its ECU to manage fuel and ignition timing with boost cranked up to 20 psi?

·
Registered
114 Posts
They supposedly have no Manufacturer Statement of Origin (MSO), and without that, the VIN is useless
Do most state DMVs check? I've had to go through some funky paper shuffles here in Texas on a few vehicles, but I've never had to worry about an MSO. Usually, if I had a out of state title in hand, I got the rubber stamp.

If Idaho has a title, would it be an issue to transfer it to another state? And how often does anyone go back and verify an MSO? I certainly wouldn't if I were buying this off the street.

Just trying to learn a few things here.

·
Registered
614 Posts
The worst case I experienced in Idaho was with my son's basket case GL. It had a Wa. title. All that was required was a VIN verification at the DMV to verify it was not hot
Some states like here in Minnesota may require you to have it bonded.
Do most state DMVs check? I've had to go through some funky paper shuffles here in Texas on a few vehicles, but I've never had to worry about an MSO. Usually, if I had a out of state title in hand, I got the rubber stamp.

If Idaho has a title, would it be an issue to transfer it to another state? And how often does anyone go back and verify an MSO? I certainly wouldn't if I were buying this off the street.

Just trying to learn a few things here.
A trip to local DMV asking what is required may answer some questions. Start with the people you have to deal with-a lot of fake news out there.
Paul

·
Registered
557 Posts
both of them have bids just over $5000. THe auction runs through 6/29. Will be interesting to see what they go for.

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
954 Posts
If they have only nine and 23 mi respectively, chances are in my mind that they were never touched mechanically. If they were disassembled and reassembled, you would think that part of the testing process would have had to have been to test ride the bike.
20 years ago I had gotten two tech school turbos out of Sheboygan wisconsin. None of the bolts had wrench marks or any indication whatsoever that they had been used for training. None of the side panels were damaged and no scrapes on the fairing until I laid one over on the way home. :-(Aside from one having a dented gas tank and missing a side panel, they looked like they just came out of a time capsule.

Just because Honda donated them to the schools doesn't mean that the school had a motorcycle repair program. The 650 turbos and the cbxs were sometimes donated in an effort to jumpstart a motorcycle program, from what I read.

If that topic concerns someone and was the difference between buying or not buying it's possible that a phone call to the seller would lead to some college automotive or motorcycle technology program where you could talk with a head of that department.

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
954 Posts
So how easy are they to get running.
The CBX also listed for instance as "not running".
Is a full tear down and reassembly needed?....do we know if these have these been stripped and reassembled by students?.

Is your thinking that these bikes will be negligible wear spares supply or a bike to resurrect?
These questions have been posed about every time a tech school bike comes up. If a person was wanting to put one on the road as a daily Rider it might be advantageous to open the front and rear cases and replace any and all seals and gaskets. I personally wouldn't touch the bearings.

Unless they were stored dry, the fuel system will need rebuilt which is a doable feat. Otherwise all the brake systems will also need renovated if not rebuilt. I don't expect there to be a need for new parts though. It sounds as though they are relatively intact.

In my mind these would be definitely restored to ride or restore to you resell or restore to the museum bikes especially since they have titles and are intact and relatively complete.

A serious buyer/looker will ask for more pictures such as under the seat and inside the fairing pockets and so forth. Maybe they are included in the auction.

It is definitely interesting that after 40 years two more 650 turbos come out of the woodwork. It makes one wonder how many others might be out there in community colleges and tech schools. I doubt that Honda would give up the list of where they sent them.

Many many years ago I called Honda America to try to find out the production numbers of the regular series of cxs and gls. Now we know that that information is on the front of the various manuals. So I think the guy on the phone was joking with me when he mentioned that if he gave out that information he would lose his job.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts