Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the site. I removed the 17mm cover and turned the crank clockwise as recommended. I had the valve covers off so I could watch them. They did not move at all, although I heard the aspiration of the cylinders. This sounds serious. I am willing to tear down if it is not fatal? I have a shop manual. Has anyone run into this? I have never heard the bike run...just bought it on the 4th (see my intro in general forum).

Ed

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
If the pistons are moving,,you could verify this by looking in the spark plug holes, and the fan and the valves are not moving, it sounds like you may have a broken cam chain or even a broken cam.

I think you will have to pull the engine out of the bike and remove the rear cover,,,, I guess you could take the water pump cover off of the rear of the engine and see if the water pump turns with the crank,,if it does and the fan and valves don't ,,then it is probably a broken or separated cam(these cams are 2 piece and pressed together),,if the water pump does not turn then it is likely a broken cam chain.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Welcome to the forum, where you will find the best people bar none. If you can put your location and bike in your profile it will make it a lot easier for people to help. You may have another member right around the corner that could assit you.

All I can think of at the moment is either the valve adjustment is so far off the valves dont open, or the timing chain is busted. If you bike has push rods you could remove the valve lifters (tappet, what ever you want to all them) and try cranking the engine as you have done and see if the rod move at all, if they dont chances are your timing chain has broken or the cam gear had come loose/off.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it is the cam chain, that doesn't sound as bad as a broken crank! I'm willing to pull the engine. It's all part of the challenge, right? Will keep you posted.

Ed

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
There is another 17 mm cap nut on the rear cover of the engine, on the right side,if you remove it you can see the flywheel inside,,if it turns when you turn the front bolt chances are the crank shaft is in one piece.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome. This is the kind of information and inight that I'm looking for. Everything about this engine is new to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.