Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I have a 83 CX650c and i am having some trouble diagnosing some turn signal issues. the turn signals usually work after the bike has been running for 10-20min, but before that the front signals are on and turn off when i turn the signal on (if i put the right signal on, the left stays on, but the right will go dark)

When the front is working properly, the rear isn't on at all. when the front works, the rear works.

Im not sure if its related, but the rear running light isn't working at all. the brake light works fine, and i checked the bulb and it is all good. i tested the connections and no power is getting back to the rear running light at all.

If anyone has had similar trouble, any advice would be appreciated AND a HUGE time saver.

the fuse's are good

the bulbs are all good

THANK YOU!

-Josh

·
Registered
226 Posts
I believe only the front are running lights and blinkers, the rear signals are just blinkers. Can you fill this in:

Left turn on: Front left - on/off/blink Back Left - on/off/blink

Right turn on: Front Right - on/off/blink Back Right - on/off/blink

Normal: Front left - on/off Front Right - on/off

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe only the front are running lights and blinkers, the rear signals are just blinkers. Can you fill this in:

Left turn on: Front left - on/off/blink Back Left - on/off/blink

Right turn on: Front Right - on/off/blink Back Right - on/off/blink

Normal: Front left - on/off Front Right - on/off

for the first 20 min or so, the back are off all of the time no matter what.

Left turn on: Front left - off Back Left - off Front right- On

Right turn on: Front Right - off Back Right - off Front Left- On

Normal: Front left - on Front Right - on

After the bike is warmed up the front and back lights are On and functioning normally

The taillight is ALWAYS off no matter what (brake light works). the bulb is good, but i wasn't sure if that could be related to the signals

Thank you!

-Josh

·
Registered
226 Posts
Well if your left light goes on when you turn the right signal on, and the right goes on when you turn the left turn signal on I would guess you have the left and right wires swapped. Make sure that the green wires are all going together, and that the wires are color coded (blue to blue, orange to orange).

From what I read it sounds like:

Left signal - turns on running light for right lamp

Right signal - turns on running light for left lamp

no signal - running lights

Do your signals have three wires in the front?

A quick guess: When you turn on the flashers (left signal for left flashers) they aren't working, but the running light on the other side stays on. So it could be a flasher relay that is broken, the flasher filiments (do these lamps have a flasher and running light fillament or is it just one?) or the wiring is wrong.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Well if your left light goes on when you turn the right signal on, and the right goes on when you turn the left turn signal on I would guess you have the left and right wires swapped. Make sure that the green wires are all going together, and that the wires are color coded (blue to blue, orange to orange).

The front lights are always on except when they need to blink. In order to blink the one that is meant to blink turns off and then on and repeats. No wires are crossed there.

Sounds like you need to clean your wires the best you can and possibly replace the blinker relay.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

From what I read it sounds like:

Left signal - turns on running light for right lamp

Right signal - turns on running light for left lamp

no signal - running lights

Do your signals have three wires in the front?

A quick guess: When you turn on the flashers (left signal for left flashers) they aren't working, but the running light on the other side stays on. So it could be a flasher relay that is broken, the flasher filiments (do these lamps have a flasher and running light fillament or is it just one?) or the wiring is wrong.

before the bike has a chance to warm up, the front lights are both on, and the back turn signals are both off. turning on left signal, just turns off the left side and vice versa

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The front lights are always on except when they need to blink. In order to blink the one that is meant to blink turns off and then on and repeats. No wires are crossed there.

Sounds like you need to clean your wires the best you can and possibly replace the blinker relay.

do you know how this would be affecting the rear lights? why they are off until the bike warms up?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I would get to one, and check the wires. The manual has a section in troubleshooting that tells you what the resistance values should be. I would strongly suspect the flasher relay is failing and when it warms/heats up the connection is good.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Some bikes we run across act this way. Its just like the circuit isn't continued and the more power the bike generates the more it actually works like normal. There is something blocking it from working fine. I would chase all the wires with a test light and see how they act. Probably need the rear grounds cleaned too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.