Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week, my turn signals and my horn quit working. Have done extensive troubleshooting and have not found the problem.
1983 CX650C
Here is what I have done:
  1. all fuses are good
  2. horns work if I bypass the relay. exchanged to another horn relay and no change
  3. front turn signal lights are on solid but do not blink
  4. front headlight works good (high and low beam)
  5. each rear turn light goes from 0 volts to 0.14 volts when I turn on the blinker switch
  6. Light bulbs are good
  7. checked all grounds and are all ok
  8. can not find the blinker relay
  9. Have checked for loose wires and connectors and have found nothing. Problem is constant, not intermittent
Any suggestions??

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
You need to check for the power feed to the horn/turn signal switch on the handlebar. Loose or broken wire or a dirty switch can be culprits.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for suggestion. Checked connector between body and left hand grip. Power wire is brown with white stripe has full power. Blue with white stripe wire also has full power. Connector is located behind headlight.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem fixed!
Spent a week trying to find where the flasher unit was located even though I had the seat off, the side covers off, and the headlight removed. Murray sent me a note with the location.
Removed the suspected bad flasher unit and installed an automotive unit. Connected all three wires. Fuse blew when I turned on the key.
Removed the ground wire from the flasher unit.
Blinkers AND horn now work!
Put everything back together and am ready to start riding again tomorrow. Am now a HAPPY rider again.
:D

·
Registered
255 Posts
Problem fixed!
Spent a week trying to find where the flasher unit was located even though I had the seat off, the side covers off, and the headlight removed. Murray sent me a note with the location.
Removed the suspected bad flasher unit and installed an automotive unit. Connected all three wires. Fuse blew when I turned on the key.
Removed the ground wire from the flasher unit.
Blinkers AND horn now work!
Put everything back together and am ready to start riding again tomorrow. Am now a HAPPY rider again.
:D
I had a flasher problem like you did in my build on my 1983 cx650c. I did the same thing you did..bought a flasher for a auto..hooked all the wires up..fuse blew..thought to myself..hmmm..it's grounding ?..left the ground wire off..all my brand new turn signals worked good as new !.

·
Registered
24,175 Posts
that ground wire is only there to talk about

hey shade tree and tim

i got some side covers from harmony studios they fit great and much stronger than the originals

and bob made me some fuse cover that fit perfect he now has those as well

i got 3 of them so all my bikes have new ones no very pretty!!!!

hey shade treee good to see you still kicking

·
Registered
255 Posts
that ground wire is only there to talk about

hey shade tree and tim

i got some side covers from harmony studios they fit great and much stronger than the originals

and bob made me some fuse cover that fit perfect he now has those as well

i got 3 of them so all my bikes have new ones no very pretty!!!!

hey shade treee good to see you still kicking
thanks murrayf !!..I've been really busy lately with a lot of builds..lol. just completed 5 lawn mowers today..lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts