Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1981 GL500 Silver Wing
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time post and new member! I am the 3rd generation owner of a 1981 Silverwing that needs some work. I am rebuilding the bike (not the engine) and will be looking for advice as I go. I have a right front turn signal that needs replacement. Housing and lense are both broken. Seals, wiring and socket are fine. Is it worth regularly checking on Ebay or should I be looking for parts on the forum? Are there aftermarket turn signals that fit and look good? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,444 Posts
EBay is probably the way to go. There are some decent reproductions available.

Look for member nolimitz -- a good guy in your part of the world.

·
Registered
81 Gl500i 83 CX650E
2,000 Posts
Need to know if it has the fairing or not?

Reactions: Randall-in-Mpls

·
Registered
1981 GL500 Silver Wing
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Should have clarified that mine is not the Interstate model. The front signals have three wires unlike the rear. So if I want to replace with wiring I cannot substitute a rear. I disassembled the signal and I can rewire a rear signal to work but it is a pain. Seams like most online have the 2 wire (rear). Based on the wiring diagram the 3rd wire is for a running light. I am taking video of the entire rebuild project so I remember how everything goes back together.

·
Registered
1981 GL500 Silver Wing
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New to posting on a forum, messed that last one up. I made a general response.

·
Registered
1982 GL500 81 BMW R100 2010 HD E-GLIDE
695 Posts
First time post and new member! I am the 3rd generation owner of a 1981 Silverwing that needs some work. I am rebuilding the bike (not the engine) and will be looking for advice as I go. I have a right front turn signal that needs replacement. Housing and lense are both broken. Seals, wiring and socket are fine. Is it worth regularly checking on Ebay or should I be looking for parts on the forum? Are there aftermarket turn signals that fit and look good? Any help would be appreciated.
If you have a dealer that works with Parts Unlimited Part # 25-1095 works Rt & Lf Front
Also if I remember the guts front & back will fit in either front or back housing.
Paul

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,728 Posts
The front signals have 3 wires because they function as both marker lights and signals (the marker is turned off when the signal is flashing).
The rear signals are only signals because it is well known that amber signals are more noticeable than red ones and the law requires that all lights at the rear except the signals and license plate light must be red.

You have options about which signals you use.
If you want to keep the bike absolutely original you can shop for a good used replacement (not that the only difference between the left signal and the right one is the colour of the little pieces of heat shrink next to the connectors that tell you which wires they plug into).
If you are less concerned with genuine Honda parts but want to maintain the original appearance there are also aftermarket reproductions of the original type.
If you are most concerned about having working signals and don't care if they look like the originals there are all sorts of signals on the market (including some that have LEDs instead of bulbs - more light for less power). Just make sure you get ones that are intended to work as both marker lights and signals.

BTW: Welcome to the forum and welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your bike is about 4 decades old and not meaning to cast aspersions on the good intentions of your family, no matter how well maintained it appears to be it may or may not have had all of the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel (old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet). If your bike still has the original rubber brake line(s) (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid). And don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (they can crack on the bottom where you don't see it).

And speaking of what it looks like, we love to see pics of members' bikes so
Font Technology Facade Logo Darkness

·
Registered
1981 GL500 Silver Wing
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The front signals have 3 wires because they function as both marker lights and signals (the marker is turned off when the signal is flashing).
The rear signals are only signals because it is well known that amber signals are more noticeable than red ones and the law requires that all lights at the rear except the signals and license plate light must be red.

You have options about which signals you use.
If you want to keep the bike absolutely original you can shop for a good used replacement (not that the only difference between the left signal and the right one is the colour of the little pieces of heat shrink next to the connectors that tell you which wires they plug into).
If you are less concerned with genuine Honda parts but want to maintain the original appearance there are also aftermarket reproductions of the original type.
If you are most concerned about having working signals and don't care if they look like the originals there are all sorts of signals on the market (including some that have LEDs instead of bulbs - more light for less power). Just make sure you get ones that are intended to work as both marker lights and signals.

BTW: Welcome to the forum and welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your bike is about 4 decades old and not meaning to cast aspersions on the good intentions of your family, no matter how well maintained it appears to be it may or may not have had all of the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel (old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet). If your bike still has the original rubber brake line(s) (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid). And don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (they can crack on the bottom where you don't see it).

And speaking of what it looks like, we love to see pics of members' bikes so
View attachment 211265
I have read some of your posts and am all over your suggestions. Everything rubber will get replaced, already have a new set of tires and will replace stuff as I go. I have the Honda repair manual and the Clymer. It has been in a shop for 19 years, had a nice mouse nest in the air filter. I replaced the air filter, spark plugs, battery and fuel and it fired up. I guess my dad must have put some fuel stabilizer in there when it was parked as the carbs were not full of fuel gel. I am mainly taking it apart to remedy the rust problems in a number of places on the frame. I will be repainting everything with paint on it and polishing all metals. All fluids will be changed and I will rebuild the carbs. I am not sure if I will be going with original everything. I want to keep with original parts and will keep an eye out on Ebay for a signal.
I may do a little custom paint work but mechanically it will be unchanged (15,000 miles). I will be revisiting the forum as I go, want this to be a winter project. I am recording video of everything I do and may post on youtube later. I am having a blast and am very excited to ride this bike.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
A nice looking example of the somewhat rare black GL500. Own it proudly!

·
Super Moderator
23,398 Posts
I've swapped the guts of them from three wire to two.

You can go from two to three.

If the socket holder etc in the broken signal is still viable it can be swapped into the new two wire replacement and then the running lights will still work as per factory with the new ebay indicator.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Logan

Pm me your contact info. I'm in Boise. I have a functional front right signal minus the lense. I'm swamped till after Xmas at work but I'm sure we can work something out. I think my son is done dumping/dropping his GL and I have/had a spare set of fronts. Are you in Boise?

Pete

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
I have read some of your posts and am all over your suggestions. Everything rubber will get replaced, already have a new set of tires and will replace stuff as I go. I have the Honda repair manual and the Clymer. It has been in a shop for 19 years, had a nice mouse nest in the air filter. I replaced the air filter, spark plugs, battery and fuel and it fired up. I guess my dad must have put some fuel stabilizer in there when it was parked as the carbs were not full of fuel gel. I am mainly taking it apart to remedy the rust problems in a number of places on the frame. I will be repainting everything with paint on it and polishing all metals. All fluids will be changed and I will rebuild the carbs. I am not sure if I will be going with original everything. I want to keep with original parts and will keep an eye out on Ebay for a signal.
I may do a little custom paint work but mechanically it will be unchanged (15,000 miles). I will be revisiting the forum as I go, want this to be a winter project. I am recording video of everything I do and may post on youtube later. I am having a blast and am very excited to ride this bike.
View attachment 211270
Logan
See my previous posts , but in case you are not aware many Honda models have interchangeable parts. Using a honda parts list from any dealer or sites like Partzilla you can broaden your online search for parts. See below

33409-ma1-671 | eBay
This Honda 33409-MA1-671 BASE, TURN SIGNAL fits the following models and components:
Honda Motorcycle 1982 GL1100 A - GOLD WING Turn Signal
Honda Motorcycle 1981 GL500 A - SILVER WING Turn Signal
Honda Motorcycle 1983 GL650 A - SILVER WING Turn Signal
Honda Motorcycle 1984 GL1200 A - GOLD WING Turn Signal
Honda Motorcycle 1983 GL650I A - SILVER WING INTERSTATE Turn Signal
Honda Motorcycle 1984 GL1200 AC - GOLD WING Turn Signal
Honda Motorcycle 1982 GL500 A - SILVER WING Turn Signal
Honda Motorcycle 1983 GL1100 A - GOLD WING Turn Signal

·
Registered
1981 GL500 Silver Wing
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Actually after looking back at your bike. are you sure you don't need a left side? The right looks intact, but I got tired eyes after driving 300 miles today. My spare left is pristine...
The signal housing and lense are both broke on the right, it is just still attached to the bike. Lots of things on this bike look better in the image than in person.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have a spare signal in the basement, not sure if front or rear. Will check later this morning.

·
Registered
1982 GL500 81 BMW R100 2010 HD E-GLIDE
695 Posts
Should have added also same as some early 80's Gold Wing
My 84 year old brain freeze's up during Minn winter but regarding your drooping turn signals-wouldn"t try to lever them up by chrome plastic arm but remove turn signs & you will see metal stem which can carefully be bent back into position-then replace turn signal unit.
Paul

1 - 20 of 21 Posts