Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am a newer member and appreciate any help I can get. I recently purchased a 1980 cx500c. I have a service manual but of course they can only cover so much. My problem is that the manual indicates that for that year the indicator relay should be inside the headlight housing and it simply isnt there. I saw that the 1981 model year it is under the seat. Not there either. I have a sneaking suspician a previous owner messed with some of the wiring and other things, for example, the headlight housing has the name Suzuki on it. Anyone have any ideas where to find the relay? Thanks again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. Found one at a junkyard and plugged it in. I don't have the fronts wired up right now. When I turn on the signals the back lights will come on but no flash. Do the fronts need to be hooked up first?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok. I have what was sold as a working indicator relay. I have a o/w wire connected to one wire fromthe right turn signal and a lt. Blue/w connected on the left side to one of two wires. When I turn on the key the relay makes a "buzzing" noise.I still have one wire coming from each turn signal that is not connected. When I activate the turn signal the light on that side turns off. I'm getting very frustrated. The rear turn signal lights do not turn on at all. I do not know what to connect the second wire from the turn signals to. The wires available are 2 green wires (grounds) and a single brown hot wire. Its probably simple but I don't mind looking stupid if I get the desired result.thanks in advance.

·
Registered
200 Posts
. . . I have a o/w wire connected to one wire from the right turn signal and a lt. Blue/w connected on the left side to one of two wires. When I turn on the key the relay makes a "buzzing" noise.I still have one wire coming from each turn signal that is not connected. When I activate the turn signal the light on that side turns off. I'm getting very frustrated. The rear turn signal lights do not turn on at all. I do not know what to connect the second wire from the turn signals to. The wires available are 2 green wires (grounds) and a single brown hot wire. Its probably simple but I don't mind looking stupid if I get the desired result.thanks in advance.
I just went through the same thing last month. It took me all day to sort those indicators out. It's burned into my memory.

The orange/white and light blue/white are running lights. By design, they go off when you turn the indicators on. That's so your indicators will flash on-off instead of bright-dim.

If your bike is like my '82 GL500, you should find an orange, light blue, orange/white and light blue/white coming from your turn signal switch. Two orange wires, one for the front indicator and one for the rear, plug into the multi-recepticle orange from the switch. Same for the blue. No running lights in the rear, so no multi-recepticle connector on the orange/white.

I know that's not crystal clear, but I hope you can get it after a bit of rereading and head scratching.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Find good grounds for the turn signals. There should be a few "extra" ground wires in your bikes wiring harness, especially if someone cut stuff out of there already. Anything green is a ground. Test it with a multimeter if to see fi they're good. Set the multimeter to measure resistance (Ohms), put the black probe on the negative battery terminal, and the red probe on whatever you want to test for ground. If the resistance dives to 0, you have a good ground.

Dunno what that brown wire is, but your wiring diagram should tell you where it needs to go.

·
Super Moderator
13,807 Posts
Brown is parking light and tail light. In some parts of the world you are required to leave a light on at each end when parked on an unlit road so they use a headlight unit with a small bulb in addition to the main bulb.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
WOW sounds like a good way to kill a battery! I hope a tiny little light is OK for that.
These are what about 17 or 20 amp hour batteries?

·
Super Moderator
13,807 Posts
14 Ah IIRC and the bulbs are 3W each so the battery would be dead in 28 hours but it probably wouldn't start after 8.

Just remember that bikes sold in North America have the Park position on their ignition switches too so if you turn the key right instead of left your tail light will be on and your battery will be dead in a couple of days. A friend of mine once got a good deal on a CB550 because of that. The keyswitch was below the front end of the tank on the right where it was hard to see and the PO forgot which way to turn it over the winter so he thought the battery wasn't getting charged right.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts