Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
So, went to start my bike today and nothing happened. More specifically, when I turned the key, no lights, no dummy lights, nothing. Checked the main fuse right away and it was blown. Checked for normal loose wire stuff and nothing. So, popped in a new fuse and not only did it blow again but thought I saw a small puff of smoke come from solenoid. So, removed solenoid and opened it up. Looked fried to me. My question is, anyway to temporarily bypass the solenoid to see if bike fires up or is this a really bad idea? As you can tell I am a very limited in my electrical system knowledge! Saw a new aftermarket solenoid on eBay for $28 specifically for 1980 CX500 so going to get this either way but would like to see if everything else is cool until it arrives. Thanks.
think of your solenoid as a powerful magnetic switch.if it was me,id bridge the terminals with a suitable driver and carry on useing the bike until the new switch arrives.but thats me

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.