Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking on how to maintain brakes i notice that it was mention that mc rotors can't be turned ,,,well in the old forum someone say they can,,just have to find shop ,,,,so before i start to to look around here in my town,,,,, and to ask is it safe ,,,,,,,,, within its limits can rotors(disks) be turned,,,,i have 3 pair,,, thanks

·
Registered
458 Posts
Perfectly safe. As long as you maintain the thickness as per Mr.Honda's manual.

Used to be cheaper to buy new ones. I get all mine done at a local car brake shop. He has the dolly that fits in the centre.

·
Registered
835 Posts
somebody else used to chime in and show their irratation of the verbage used... not sure who it was, but he deserves a "BREAK"

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Perfectly safe. As long as you maintain the thickness as per Mr.Honda's manual.

Used to be cheaper to buy new ones. I get all mine done at a local car brake shop. He has the dolly that fits in the centre.
thanks today i tried a few shops here,,,no luck,,, i did see on the rotors min of 4mm,,,,that's myguide,,just have to keep trying ,,,,, the few said did not have the center piece to hold the disk,,,well i'll find someone

thanks again..

·
Registered
458 Posts
That's what they said to me too, but found a guy who actually checked, and he uses a car one. Think it's about 45mm or so. No special tools required.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Also look around small engineering places as you can not only turn them, but you can mill and/or grind them also on rotary tables. these are just the kinds of jobs small engineering places love as for the time used they pay them well compared to their normal work

·
Registered
458 Posts
Mmmm....love grinding. Couldn't find anyone, though.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Most any place that can resurface automotive clutch plates should be able to do these rotors.

·
Registered
724 Posts
they can be turned because i just did it today with my stores brake lathe. mine were very very grooved and it took the rotor down to a smooth trued surface. only thing out of the ordinary was instead of dust it shaved off curly q's cuz they're stainless. mine are just to the spec now.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
they can be turned because i just did it today with my stores brake lathe. mine were very very grooved and it took the rotor down to a smooth trued surface. only thing out of the ordinary was instead of dust it shaved off curly q's cuz they're stainless. mine are just to the spec now.
may have to travel your way,,,,,,,,,,,i'm close by

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
hey low life how much would it cost to get it done? and also how long would the turn around time be?

·
Registered
724 Posts
i brought it to work on a saturday and did it myself with a little help from one of the technicians to get the machine set up. it was suprisingly easy and only took about an hour because we were cutting it down a few thousanths at a time.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Remember though, now you have changed the weight and thickness of the item you may well need to check the balance and if necessary re balance the rotor weight by drilling small diameter holes in the carrier or modifying a carrier leg etc

1 - 14 of 14 Posts