Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's one month away! Is anyone going? I'll be in Carlisle,PA Friday, July 8, for the Chryslers car event, but I could then go to Blakeslee from there on Friday night and attend the rally Saturday.

The itinerary (from Bob Miller/TMIOA website):

FRIDAY JULY 8th

5:00 p.m. - REGISTRATION

RALLY HEADQUARTERS

Blakeslee Inn - Blakeslee, PAwww.blakesleeinn.com

(570) 646-1100

PA Routes 115 & 940

One mile north of I-80 & PA 115

N 41 05.565/W 75 35.555

SATURDAY JULY 9th

7:00 A.M. - BREAKFAST

8:00 A.M. - REGISTRATION

9:00 A.M. - RIDE TO HIGH KNOB VISTA

N 41 26.593/W 76 40.702

12:00 P.M. - LUNCH @ SONESTOWN, PA

Sonestown Inn (570) 482-3000

N 41 21.136/W76 33.301

6:00 P.M. - DINNER

9:00 P.M. - AWARDS CEREMONY

SUNDAY JULY 10th

9:00 A.M. - BREAKFAST

10:30 A.M. - LUNCH RIDE

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone? I usually go to Chryslers at Carlisle (PA) event the Saturday after the Fourth (I have a soft spot in my heart for '64 and '65 Valiants) but I could do this rally too, even though the date conflicts, if I make the extra effort. My idea:

1) Drive to Carlisle in one of my old Mopars on Thursday night (2 hr. drive), towing the CX650T with my little '77 Holsclaw trailer.

2) Sleep in the Valiant, hobo style

3) Friday I do Carlisle

4) Friday night: unload the bike and ride to the rally site (2 hours); get a room

5) Saturday: Turbo rally

6) Sunday, ride to Carlisle (2 hours), load up the bike, drive home (2-3 hours).

Timewise, it is possible. My only hesitiation is if it's wicked hot that weekend.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Anyone? I usually go to Chryslers at Carlisle (PA) event the Saturday after the Fourth (I have a soft spot in my heart for '64 and '65 Valiants) but I could do this rally too, even though the date conflicts, if I make the extra effort. My idea:

1) Drive to Carlisle in one of my old Mopars on Thursday night (2 hr. drive), towing the CX650T with my little '77 Holsclaw trailer.

2) Sleep in the Valiant, hobo style

3) Friday I do Carlisle

4) Friday night: unload the bike and ride to the rally site (2 hours); get a room

5) Saturday: Turbo rally

6) Sunday, ride to Carlisle (2 hours), load up the bike, drive home (2-3 hours).

Timewise, it is possible. My only hesitiation is if it's wicked hot that weekend.

For a rally to work in needs to be centrally located and facilitate a draw of the East and West Coast people along with the combination of members in Canada...

·
Registered
171 Posts
For a rally to work in needs to be centrally located and facilitate a draw of the East and West Coast people along with the combination of members in Canada...

I concur. There is not too many other things I would want more than to meet all of you sometime in person. Penn is just too far for me to go. Not afraid of the ride, in fact, I would love it! Just tough to get enough time off to make it. Figure from NorCal about 3-4 days riding 12-14 hours daily. Then the rally, then the ride home. Conservatively about 10 days. I would like to see a rally in Texas, or Colorado, or Kansas City, etc.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I totally understand that. I think my limit would be 12 hours from where I am in D.C., so for me Jacksonville, or Maine, west to Chicago, etc., would be about it. And even then, the round trip would be quite a few miles to put on an antique motorcycle.

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
1,069 Posts
i am with you on that homer.

i would even be willing to go as far as dallas.
This was brought up and suggested before. Sounds like you guys should organize the mid-usa TMIOA rally.

Unfortunately, Bob Miller is right now the only one willing to put the time into organizing even a regional rally. Others are just "I want one and will go to one closer to me' but only if someone else orgainizes it".

I don't blame Bob for keeping it close to himself since HE is doing the organizing. Most from the Atlantic states would not attend a rally beyond the Mississippi, just as most from the central states won't/can't attend an eastern states rally.

I think he's trying to keep the club together or re-started by keeping a rally going.

Attendance was around 20 last yr, but with one Calif attendee and one from Illinois and another from Mt or Idaho. It was such an unexpected treat to meet Greg Frazier who had come in with Richard Livermore and was staying to do seminars at Bobs BMW open house. I only wish I had hung out rather than going on the group ride; but that was great also. It would be great if he were speaking in the area again.

Bob Miller had said "never again in July".... but here it is ... again in July.. though admittedly a week earlier.

·
Registered
228 Posts
There is a CX Rally every year in the Minneapolis, MN area and as far as I know they have never had a Turbo in attendance. I tried to make it last year but my oil leak stopped me.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Tony, if I remember correctly from postings last summer, only a small number of Honda Ts were actually in attendance? Numerous attendees came sans T? I think the attendance number of 20 paints a different picture of the event than the actual Ts that were there. We've had 2-3 Ts at the PA Rallys. Glenn/Jim = 2, Kevin = 1, Will = 1. Admittedly, my memory isn't was it (never) was.

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
1,069 Posts
Tony, if I remember correctly from postings last summer, only a small number of Honda Ts were actually in attendance? Numerous attendees came sans T? I think the attendance number of 20 paints a different picture of the event than the actual Ts that were there. We've had 2-3 Ts at the PA Rallys. Glenn/Jim = 2, Kevin = 1, Will = 1. Admittedly, my memory isn't was it (never) was.
Your correct; it may paint an incorrect picture. Andy C would make it 5 turbo's but of course never all at one time.

The TMIOA is still all brands rally, but was formed on the Honda turbo club first. Of the @18 or so attendees, about half or less were on turbo's of some type or kind with 2 or 3 being on Honda Turbo's. But this was never a rally that attracted hundreds. It probably peaked at 30-40 attendees. Probably a poor showing considering the 15,000 or more japanese turbo's that were made.

All it would take to test the belief that a new location would increase attendance would be for someone from the mid-west to offer to host the rally. Even if they wished to do a Honda only Rally, there is nothing stopping them.

If someone wants to piggy-back a turbo rally onto the CX rally, they could do that. Since the date has been moved ahead a week, the campground that is located about 5 miles from the Zeeger cabin may have some openings of their cabins and campsites.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I've been advised that there have been seven different Honda Ts at the PA Amish, but never more than two at one time. Last year there was discussion about a combined Rally, which did not go anywhere. I still think it would be a good idea, the dates are close and so is the geographical area. It would bolster both interests, and we could suggest that the carbureted CX/GL guys bath, if that's the objection.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
From the traveling Friends Forum:

HTTA AMISH RALLY 2011 INFORMATION

DATE: Wednesday, August 03 - Monday August 08, 2011

Coordinates:

41.032233,-77.002573‎

41° 1' 56.50"N, 77° 0' 8.51"W

CLICK HERE TO VIEW IN GOOGLE MAPS

WHAT: A get together of the official unofficial Honda CX/GL owners and aficionados club.

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
1,069 Posts
About 10-12 in attendance.

I met at lunch in Sonestown and then joined in the afternoon ride through the evening meal.

3 CX turbo's;

2 Kaw turbo's

and bob's Yamaha turbo.

2 K1400 Concours;

a Pc800

a CX 650 E

at least one other.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds good Tony! Sorry I couldn't make it- last minute change of plans; my wife's parents needed extra help that weekend from a move to a retirement community from their home of 40+ years. Do you have any photos of the gathering?

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
1,069 Posts
Sounds good Tony! Sorry I couldn't make it- last minute change of plans; my wife's parents needed extra help that weekend from a move to a retirement community from their home of 40+ years. Do you have any photos of the gathering?
We missed you. Glad you could help your in-loves out.

Bob and other took some pictures. He may post them on the TMIOA site.

Deeno from near Missiagua had a pristine 650 T and Tim Mcdonald [I think] had a sweet 500T. JT was also there on his blackened 500T.

Bob chose a very good ride layout. With the closeness to the 4th of july weekend, traffic may have been on the heavy side but we were seldom 'held up'.

I thought perhaps Will would have shown up for the day ride.... and the way Rich talked, he maybe would have come.

Looks like the plans are to have it the same general area again.

Several interesting sights along the way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Glad u guys are keeping these bikes going, I always thought the cx's had great lines. I saw a bunch of cx's at the antique market in Eaglesmere and it boggled my mind, could someone up here be hoarding all the Honda cx's.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I won't make it to the Amish Rally because I sold my bike
to a guy who is collecting Hondas in Harrisburg. I did give him the info for the site and tell him about the rally. I know he has two CX500Ts now, and mine runs. He brought a minivan to pick it up, and we took the fairing and top frame off, and lowered the forks to make it fit. We spent 4 hours getting the bike in and stripping the spare frame, and packing all the spare parts in around the bike (carefully).

Thanks for all the help in keeping her going! I must move on, but will miss her. Hopefully the new owner will give it the proper care and show it off to you guys.

Greg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.