Honda CX 500 Forum banner

turbo not working.

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  allynchie 
#1 ·
Hi all,
My first post so be gentle!
I got my turbo a couple of months back and grinned from ear to ear opening her up on the way home.
Though a looker all was not up to scratch so I have done...

Tyres
Rear Pads
Rear disc
Rear calliper seals
Front master cylinder seals

Anyway, I took her out all excited today but I have trouble... She starts and runs well but when you open her up the fuel system warning light comes on and stays on. The turbo sort of stutters now on partial power. Turning her off and back on seems to reset the problem but
the first time the boost comes on line it shuts down.

Any suggestions where to start? I have a manual.

Cheers, Alan in Navan Ireland...

#2 ·
The turbo guys will be along to help, but I wanted to ask, by manual, what do you mean? The Factory Service Manual would be the best to have. We have a free copy for you if you need it. Send me a PM and I can get them to you. There are a few other Honda manuals associated that we can set you up with. Our WIKI has some other help tips as well, so check my links below (Forum settings too please). We are still trying to get the FSM into the WIKI, just waiting on a few tech issues.

Welcome aboard,

#4 ·
X2 on the ECU codes.
They have been known to have fuel pump issues too.
Even a partially clogged fuel filter will cause poor running at higher rpm.

#5 · (Edited)
Stuck wastegate would be my best guess.

The wastegate controls the maximum boost the Turbo will generate.

If the computer detects an overboost Turbo it would go into limb mode and will save the engine. This limb mode will keep it running but not in a nice way.
Once you reset the computer it has no memory and waits till the next overboost will occur.

When you drive look at the boost indicator, if all bars light up you are very close to an overboost situation.

#9 ·
Hi Guys,

Friday evening I WD40d an un stuck the actuator rod and lever. I then slapped a little copperslip in around the prone areas.
Got home from work this afternoon and took her out for a spin and petrol.
I would like to report that the beast is now fully operational.

Thank you so much for your help...

#10 ·
Hi All,
I jumped the gun there a little. I took Obi out for a good long run and she is still shutting down on boost. :(
I also discover that she is hard to get into neutral as the clutch is dragging a bit. On top of that there is no more adjustment left on the cable to take out the lever slack....
Ill run the fault code trick later this week..

Cheers
Alan

#12 ·
due to the hi temps, WD40 will burn off. There is a product called MOUSE MILK which is a high temp penetrating oil used in the aerospace industry. I recommend trying that. Its good to have around as it is some of the best penetrating oil there is.

#13 ·
Hi all... Its been a long time but time for the update!

i fixed the dragging clutch and the goosed tyres. Also the handling was bad as the steering head bearing was set wrong... now for the turbo! It is still cutting out and here is where I am now.

I found and checked the ECU when it quit. It confirms the wastegate issue.

I have spent three hours pulling it open here and can confirm the following.

1 the waste gate is free.
2 it opens at just under 20 pounds with a bike foot pump. This confirms no leakage on waste gate actuator pipe.
3 I have removed the pipe stub at the turbo end and there is no blockage.

Any ideas?
I was thinking that maybe its a sensor issue with the sensor detecting overboost when infant there isn't.

Thanking you in advance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.