Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Turbo balancing?

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Pim205GTI 
#1 ·
Hello all.
Im in the process of lightly restoring my 500 turbo.
I have had a quick look through the manual and can find no reference to cylinder balancing like you do on a carburettor machine... how is this part made up...

Cheers, Alan

#2 ·
I've never really thought about it with the turbo. On my old four cylinder bikes we used four vacs or a mercury slide. On a BMW twin it was to pull one wire and get it to where it just barely ran and then do the other side the same. With a joint exhaust and FI, I'm not sure much of anything is possible with the turbo. If it runs and idles I guess I would be happy. Unless you have done something drastic to get the throttles out of adjustment, I don't think there would ever be a need for any kind of balancing.

#4 ·
You can't vacuum-balance an intake tract that's at positive pressure. You have one turbo feeding both cylinders, there is no way one can be at a different pressure than the other. Fueling is balanced (I assume) by the ECU. It's not something you can adjust, like a carburetor. If you had twin turbos then yeah, you'd need some way to balance the pressure, but that's not an issue with the CX Turbos.

Charles.

#6 ·
You can't vacuum-balance an intake tract that's at positive pressure. You have one turbo feeding both cylinders, there is no way one can be at a different pressure than the other.
A Normal Aspirated engine also has the same positive pressure.............:rolleyes:

We balance our carburetors not for wide open throttle.
We balance our carburetors for little throttle openings were very small differences in opening causes a lot of difference in air flow between the cylinders same for NA or Turbo engines.

The CX500 Turbo manual problems section states that with misfire, a thing to check is the throttle valve synchronization :

Except maybe now you would expect that on page 24 it is explained if the pressure difference is to large you can adjust something, except page 24 is empty.
In the CX650T manual the next page is not empty but start with something completely different!:vs_shrug:

If we then look at the butterfly valves , there is no possibility to change the angle between them

So conclusion you can check it but when you have a problem the only thing you can do is to exchange the throttle body :(

Reactions: edinlr
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.