Honda CX 500 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
Some information here CX/GL 500/650 Stator Check , lots more in the factory service manual. Have you downloaded a copy of the factory service manual from the wiki (link in my signature) .

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I do have the FSM, and this link is excellent. I'll start with this and see where it goes. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
16,628 Posts
I'm far from an expert on CDI ignition problems but it seems to me one of the first things you should do is disconnect the black/white wire from the CDI. It is the wire that the kill switch and the keyswitch connect to ground to kill the spark and corrosion in the kill switch causing spark problems has been mentioned on the forum a lot.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
OK, here are the results. For the AC test across the blue and white wires, I got BLUE = 115V and WHITE = 95V. For everything else, see pic below. Thoughts?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Oh yeah, and I have tapped off the #1 wire for RPM reading to my cheapo speedo...if that makes a difference. That RPM reading doesn't work, but is the least of my problems right now.

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
Don't your resistance readings for 5/9 suggest a problem with your low speed source coil?

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I did now...thanks! Looks like I need an Ignitech. I've seen some posts on this product, but they were old. IS this still a viable option?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
UPDATE - Bought and installed a new Ignitech and still no spark on either side.. Fully charged battery and pretty sure everything is connected right...I even put in 2 new plugs just to be sure. Something is fundamentally wrong, just not sure where to start trouble shooting. Any advice rom the experts?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
UPDATE - Bought and installed a new Ignitech and still no spark on either side.. Fully charged battery and pretty sure everything is connected right...I even put in 2 new plugs just to be sure. Something is fundamentally wrong, just not sure where to start trouble shooting. Any advice rom the experts?

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
This may have been asked before, but how are you checking for spark? To what are you grounding the spark plug?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
This may have been asked before, but how are you checking for spark? To what are you grounding the spark plug?
For CXPHREAK - I followed the instructions and watched a few videos to confirm. Pretty straight forward with all the connectors ready, just have to splice in the power to the rear brake light with the male/female connections provided. My rear brake light is physically not there at the moment though, so that final connection is open.

For reclinedrelic - I am grounding to the engine hanger bolt. Double checked for continuity on the bolts and it is good.

·
Super Moderator
16,628 Posts
What is it with aftermarket ignition manufacturers recommending connecting to a lighting circuit for power? Dynatek says to get power from the turn signal circuit on the GL1000, which is really dumb when it is just as easy to connect to the power wire running to the coils and doing that turns off power to the ignition modules when the kill switch is off.

I think if I was installing an Ignitech (or any other aftermarket ignition system) on a CX I think I would connect its power wire to a black (switched power) wire through an inline fuse.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I guess that connection is just close and convenient with all the bullet connectors ready to go.

IS there a black power wire with a connector I can easily splice in to near by? I am not a big fan of cutting the harness up to make my own splices...

·
Super Moderator
16,628 Posts
The wiring drawing shows several unused black wire connectors in various parts of the bike. I'd pick the closest one and make up a wire that will reach with an inline fuse holder somewhere you can get at in an emergency.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Never mind. its operator error again...I had a second look with good light and turns out I mixed up the wires. They are all black cuz of grime ;) Cleaned them up, separated all the greens from black, connected as per the instructions, and we have spark! Thanks...more news tomorrow with fuel.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Never mind. its operator error again...I had a second look with good light and turns out I mixed up the wires. They are all black cuz of grime ;) Cleaned them up, separated all the greens from black, connected as per the instructions, and we have spark! Thanks...more news tomorrow with fuel.
UPDATE - All starts up and idles nicely now (after a few minutes warming up). The 2 remaining issues are:

1. The right cylinder is still running waaaaaaay hotter than the left.
2. It frequently backfires after revving it up, then it will stall instead of going back to idle. Starts right up after though.

Any thoughts / recommendations?

21 - 40 of 82 Posts