Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting my bike painted this month and I've been trying to decide on a color. Originally I was going to go with matte black, but I've been thinking it might be nice to stick to the dark brown but a bit more modern and updated. This is the only image I could find that conveys what I had in mind:

http://i.imgur.com/xohrAbc.jpg

I was also thinking a dark gray may be nice, something similar to this bike:

scramblertt: 1978 Honda CX500 | Moto-Mucci

Any recommendations/photos from you guys? Ideas on what might look better?

Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts

do this color its gun metal by hot hues (DuPont) with no direct sunlight its black, but in the light look out

·
Registered
63 Posts
hrmm photos did not do it justice. I will look for better ones

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
15,977 Posts
Brown & gray on vehicles are right up there with beige & off white on walls. With so many nice real colours available why would anyone want a non-colour?

(Says the guy who painted his GoldWing black. But in fairness, it was originally black and I did update the look with blue panels that are completely different and "sticker" logos. And use an undercoat with a texture to make it unique.)

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
15,977 Posts
Pluto: I hope its OK that I have saved that image. I am not likely to ever build that sort of bike or paint one any of those colours (although the green is somewhat similar to one I used on my winter machines for a number of years). I just think it looks neat and it obviously took a bit of effort so it deserves to be archived.

BTW: What does its name "Dizza" mean?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Pluto: I hope its OK that I have saved that image. I am not likely to ever build that sort of bike or paint one any of those colours (although the green is somewhat similar to one I used on my winter machines for a number of years). I just think it looks neat and it obviously took a bit of effort so it deserves to be archived.

BTW: What does its name "Dizza" mean?
hah no problem, this image is free for everyone ;D and if someone want's to try and see some new combination of color I can surely help with that ;D at least it helped with my build..

I was looking and thinking what do you mean with "dizza" and only after few minutes I realized it was the pictures name :D I think what I meant with "dizza" was naming it "dizains" or in english it means "design" but I was too lazy to write so long and just quickly hit the name for it :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just finishing up a repaint on 83 650i. Not very popular these days, but I want to be visible on the road – so I have gone with some vintage red and cream, and a kind of classic paint pattern. Spraying a Nason 2k, will probably clearcoat for durability - though the enamel buffs up nicely.

Will try to attach some pix

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

·
Registered
831 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Doug, that red and cream really works! That's some serious detail with the tu-tone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dip it!

Go with the flat black for the frame, that goes with anything. If you're just doing the tank, like in the picture, why not PlastiDip it. It's a rubber paint that covers, but doesn't affect the paint underneath, and can literally be peeled off if you change your mind. I wanted to paint my 81 Gl500i Insterstate but I was torn because the factory paint and decals are still perfect. With PlastiDip (there are other brands of rubber paint) I have already painted, then peeled off and repainted my tank. And the finish underneath is still perfect. They even have chameleon colours that change hue in the light, depending on how you look at them.

Good luck!

Getting my bike painted this month and I've been trying to decide on a color. Originally I was going to go with matte black, but I've been thinking it might be nice to stick to the dark brown but a bit more modern and updated. This is the only image I could find that conveys what I had in mind:

http://i.imgur.com/xohrAbc.jpg

I was also thinking a dark gray may be nice, something similar to this bike:

scramblertt: 1978 Honda CX500 | Moto-Mucci

Any recommendations/photos from you guys? Ideas on what might look better?

Thanks!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Just finishing up a repaint on 83 650i. Not very popular these days, but I want to be visible on the road – so I have gone with some vintage red and cream, and a kind of classic paint pattern. Spraying a Nason 2k, will probably clearcoat for durability - though the enamel buffs up nicely.

Will try to attach some pix

View attachment 20271
As is quite evident in my own project, I'm a sucker for two-tones, especially when one of the colors is cream!! Great job, a trophy winner for sure. :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Go with the flat black for the frame, that goes with anything. If you're just doing the tank, like in the picture, why not PlastiDip it. It's a rubber paint that covers, but doesn't affect the paint underneath, and can literally be peeled off if you change your mind. I wanted to paint my 81 Gl500i Insterstate but I was torn because the factory paint and decals are still perfect. With PlastiDip (there are other brands of rubber paint) I have already painted, then peeled off and repainted my tank. And the finish underneath is still perfect. They even have chameleon colours that change hue in the light, depending on how you look at them.

Good luck!
How does plasti-dip hold up? I've read about it a bit. Would it last all summer in the sun/heat? Or is it pretty temporary?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts