Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1982 GL500
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to re-key the lock at the top of the trunk? I got the bottom one with the latch just fine, but I don't see any way to get the cylinder out of the top one without breaking something. It's the Honda trunk from a GL650, but I'm pretty sure the 500 is the same thing
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,439 Posts
I hope you have better luck than I did when I asked the same thing a few years ago. I had it picked but couldn't figure out how to get the cylinder out.
I ended up using a completely different lock, which meant carrying another key but at least I could open it. I eventually changed to a different trunk with a flat bottom but that's another story.

·
Super Moderator
5,681 Posts
IIRC the cylinder comes out from the front of the lock by unfolding the edge of the front piece. A locksmith may be able to do that.

·
Registered
1982 GL500
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe I'll try to dig into it. I'll either get it sorted out or I'll destroy it, but since I don't have a key anyhow, I guess it's no great loss.
I'm guessing these locks are specific to these trunks; i.e., there's not a universal part out there that would work

·
Super Moderator
5,681 Posts
The locks are specific to 1982 GL500 Interstate and the 1983 GL650 Interstate.
If you can see the key code on the lock you can have a key cut to fit that lock.

·
Super Moderator
5,681 Posts
Perhaps it is easier to rekey the ignition lock to match the trunk?

Reactions: nolimitz
1 - 8 of 8 Posts