Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, while I'm waiting for parts I finally had a chance to sit down and mock up a quick rough draft of what I want my bike to look like.
Right now this is what she looks like :
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

Below is "roughly" what I want it to look like when complete. :eek:ccasion14:
(I apologize in advance for the poor Photoshop chop job and any "parts" I've digitally stolen from any of you):
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Car

Hopefully by next week, I should have my standard tank and shortly thereafter, my Ignigtec module. Once I get funds from a side job I took on, I will be doing a complete engine overhaul, electric fan conversion, Murray carbs and H pipe removal adapter pipes, reverse Comstars w/ rear 18", new tires, drilling front rotor, new master cylinder and braided line, rear frame removal/rebuild w seat and cafe hump, Emco reverse shorties (chrome or black?), clip ons or Hyde M bars?, possibly rear disk brake conversion, led signals and brake light, new GL stator, and new foot pegs.

The paint scheme will be:
Ford steel blue metallic like this for tank, plastics and cafe hump;
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sport utility vehicle Compact sport utility vehicle

Porsche Platinum Grey for frame like this;
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Luxury vehicle

And engine will be Crinkle coated satin black with polished aluminum valve covers and fins.

Phew! This is the plan, as of now anyways. It may change before all is done. Not sure how long it will take, but I'm eager to get started!!

Thoughts?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Wow! You have the proportions spot on. Perfect back end overhang and all. Well done.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With everything going on, I still made a bit more progress, took off the sissy bar, crash bars, radiator trim, mufflers, rear pegs and windscreen, switched over the bars and put bar end mirrors on. Hopefully should have my tank before the weekend. Got some serious cable and wire rerouting/adjustments with the new bars. I might try different mirrors and my other set of Clubmans or a set of clip ons before settling, not sure I'm happy with them currently. Once I get my tank, I can start building my seat pan, hump and seat. She almost looks bobberish right now :^)
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
27 Posts
I like your concept picture, I have been mulling over what I plan on doing with mine since the fall. Good to see another nova scotia cx being done! I hope to start mine this summer once I get a work area. Right now mine is shoved into an old shed waiting for me to start tinkering with it!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bought another set of Clubmans, little different geometry so when this rain stops I think I'll give them a try to see if I like them better or if I'll be going to clip ons or Superbike bars?
I find that the grips and controls are very bunched up on the bars, especially with bar end mirrors.

·
Registered
401 Posts
As far as your problem with rear sets have you tried just flipping the stock ones to opposite sides just to give a little pull back to make your position more natural. Might be easier to mod the stock linkage then. I did this on my GL but still wanted more and made some. But it might give you a better reference,it helped me a lot in the final stages.

·
Registered
594 Posts
As far as your problem with rear sets have you tried just flipping the stock ones to opposite sides just to give a little pull back to make your position more natural.
My suggestion would be to find some Standard/Deluxe foot pegs and controls. They move the position back about 2-inches and still fold (unlike the Custom swap). My seating position is very comfortable/natural. Saves a ton of fabrication and head scratching. Just my 2-cents...

·
Registered
280 Posts
I had to remove the heat shields to get my custom pegs on backwards, but there were no issues from that. Like flyinelivis recommended, I eventually switched to standard pegs because they're a little higher.

If you do reverse your pegs, you can flip the shift lever upside down and it will move the lever back, too.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hmmm, I didn't even notice they were different? Cool, thanks I'll take a look.
I don't have a good side view, but you can get an idea of how they fit, here:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Here are some pics of mine. They are fairly old pics I've cleaned them up abit. I made some brackets to keep them from rotating and remade the shifter arm altogether. Even though they are on a GL just thought I'd share.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got a bit more done today. new Clubmans are way better, think I'm happy with them now. Took the tank off, seat off, air box, rear signals, rear fender, helmet lock tool, pouch holder and some other stuff. Have to wait till next weekend for my tank :^( before I start building my seat pan and hump.
Oh yes, the BIG news....I finally got the registration, woohooo, she's legal at last!!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts