Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found some related articles but I'm not finding threads on exactly what I'm looking for, but I'm positive this must have been covered.

Before I put my bike up for the winter it began to not start when I would hit the starter button. I would hear a click sometimes, so I presumed it is likely a solenoid, but I would also like to check associated grounds and the switch. Are there instructions on how to short out the starter to see for sure if the solenoid is bad, which grounds to look for and to clean, and how to test the switch?

Thank you,
Brandon

·
Super Moderator
20,340 Posts
Stick a metal object across the large terminals to bypass the solenoid.

I started one of my bikes for the first time in a while recently and got the dry clicks too.

In my case I had to dismantle and clean the internal solenoid contacts.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
When the start button is pressed 12 volts is supplied to the solenoid. detach the small wire at the solenoid and measure voltage with starter button depressed. If you get 12 volts the start button is working properly.

The most likely connections to check are the battery terminals.

Is your battery fully charged? How was the battery stored and maintained over the winter?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I'll start with these. The battery was fully charged and is periodically kept on a tender. I want to get this issue resolved because I have the dreaded coolant leak from the water pump area I have to deal with next before I can start riding. Fortunately I was able to find lots of topics addressing the litany of issues it could be from that area.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I apologize for the ignorance, however, I got the bike out this week and attempted to junk the terminals, but I am only seeing a single terminal on the starter. Which terminals should I jump? the actual two relay terminals?

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
The terminals are on the solenoid or relay. You could also use a jumper cable from the + battery terminal to the single terminal on the starter; momentary contact only, don't clip it on as you want to be able to disconnect as soon as the engine star

1 - 7 of 7 Posts