Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the morning when I go to start my 81 cx500c up she takes about a minute to get going. Just keeps turning over and over with the occasional sputter here and there.

I think it is just that the carbs need to be cleaned and that idol needs to be set properly but I always like a second opinion.

Thanks,

PS working on pictures now.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've had trouble with mine in the past because the choke cable wasn't adjusted properly and therefore wasn't getting enough choke.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I think I need to tune the carbs as well. It does not like running without being slightly choked or else it might die at a stop or when I pull the clutch coasting down hills. How do I adjust the choke cable to make sure it is properly choked?

·
Registered
458 Posts
The choke adjuster is between the carbs, just follow the cable.

Also, check battery condition. These babies need a GOOD cranking amperage to help the ignition pick ups/coils etc. Try starting it cold, with a jump start from a car, if it starts straight away, get a new battery.

Mine always needs FULL choke, but, starts straight away.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
The choke adjuster is between the carbs, just follow the cable.

Also, check battery condition. These babies need a GOOD cranking amperage to help the ignition pick ups/coils etc. Try starting it cold, with a jump start from a car, if it starts straight away, get a new battery.

Mine always needs FULL choke, but, starts straight away.

Good luck.
i agree with bear.

youl have a high of 27c in your neck of the woods,if your carbs are clean and your battery is good....you shouldnt need choke.

bear is in the middle of winter

·
Registered
810 Posts
CHeck your low speed enrichment. A hard start coupled with better running with choke tells me it is lean. No choke needed when cold goes with a rich mixture.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Hay Zegwin I know exactly what your talking about. MY 82GL would be a bear to start if it sat for 2 or 3 days I might crank it for 45 sec to a minut or more before it would fireup and than only run on the left cyl the right would fire up about 10 sec later also would only run with the choke on until it warmed up to full operating temp, Even then ran really doggy. last May I found a 2nd set of Carbs at Bent Bike in Lynnwood cleaned,adjusted them per the instuctions tune up,tappet,timing chain adjustment (thanks for all the info guys) swapped out the carbs for the new set. Now it roars to life with 1 quick punch of the starter button, Purrs like a kitten at idle , with silky smooth throttle responce from 1000-9000 rpm

Keep at it you'll get it, I messed around with mine for over a year looking for help and information I was so frusterated I was ready to junk it and buy a new bike. Until I found this site .

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Now it roars to life with 1 quick punch of the starter button, Purrs like a kitten at idle , with silky smooth throttle responce from 1000-9000 rpm

Aren't they just the,"Dog's Danglies" when set up right

Still amazes me every time I ride one of mine just how good Honda got it back 30 years ago in my case

PS

Also to OP check your manual and strip and clean your starter motor.It's not hard and well worth the effort.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Yeah, I second that. Doubt it been checked for years. Not that hard to do. Well done Shep.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Yeah, I second that. Doubt it been checked for years. Not that hard to do. Well done Shep.

Within the 1st 3 months of owning a CX I had stripped and rebuilt the engine(Had to)from a donor bike).Cleaned and service the carbs,starter motor,front and back end,throttle and clutch controls,all electrics,coolant system and rad flushed,greased swinging arm.

I've had very few problems with that CX.My other one has been used as a test-bed so it's unfair to say anything about it really but for the next year now my Main CX.Both converted to electric fans(I will NEVER go back to the mech fans) and I'll give,"Bruised" a well needed facelift although she's still at 98% mechanically(Waiting for a pair of low mileage heads from the US.£77 UK inc P&P.Absolute bargain) as it's cheaper than me fitting new valve guides and valves to cure excessive oil use which I have done on my Red CX.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I will add the started to my list of things to do. Right now it is clean the carbs over the winter, check the timing, check the valves, replace the breaks, replace all fluids, and now strip and clean the starter. (all on top of paying for school!) Oh I have found if I pull the choke all the way and a little more she starts right up.

EDIT: and replace my tach cable. Lucky for me I have a spare.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts